Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Fuel vent tube plugged????

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2019, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel vent tube plugged????

Hi guys. So I have this problem with putting gas in my 04 Venture. I can only put a few cents in it at a time before the pump shuts off. It literally takes me 20 minutes to get 3/4 of a tank of gas!! I'm assuming that I need a new charcoal canister but they are expensive for this Van. I took a look under the vehicle and found the canister. There are some hoses going to it, but I'm unsure which one is the vent hose? Can anyone tell me which one I can unhook temporarily (until I can afford a new canister...I am disabled and on a limited budget ) so I can pump gas in her. I haven't had this Venture very long and would love to put gas in it like a normal vehicle...lol. Here are some pics that I took of the hoses going to the canister. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by kevin spahr; October 1st, 2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Hmmm, wow! That's a problem with the vehicle? Sorry I'm no help, but I have experienced this (rarely) and always assumed it was a gas pump problem. It has happened maybe 6? times in as many years with our 2003. Good luck with that, and if you find the solution outside of these forums please come back and post the answer. Thanks.
Old October 5th, 2019, 1:30 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

had the problem in my 04 imp. but the canister is on top of the fuel tank. the only way to mess with it was to drop the tank. i didnt want to make something work so i just replaced the canister. not only would it be a safety issue but if it didnt work i would have to drop the tank again. but some people have had luck with removing their old canister and blowing it out with compressed air even washing it out with water but i wouldnt was it. i would attempt to clean it before replacing or making something work. i was so excited when i was able to fill my car up for the first time in years without it clicking off or pumping slowly, it truly was a good feeling that no one around the gas pump would truly understand except a chevy owner lol
Old October 6th, 2019, 8:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

its probably the hose with the pic of the gas station pump. remove the hose at the cannister and the fuel cap...blow back thru the hose and have someone check if air comes out the filler hose. if it does, you have the correct hose. blow into the cannister...if that is restricted...it can be a block cannister, stuck vent valve solenoid, clogged vent line or vent filter.

the cannister filter should be changed periodically especially if you drive in dusty conditions or its old!
Old October 9th, 2019, 6:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello! I think so . Perhaps - the valve does not work for you (see the picture). The canister most likely works. Remove the hose from the canister (blue arrow in the figure). Close the hose and the nipple of the canister with a net (medical gauze). Secure the hose so that it does not hang.

Last edited by sergeimoskva; October 9th, 2019 at 6:41 AM.