Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Silverado Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thonyyang
When you said "vent" what exactly did you mean. The little fuel vent valve that is at the end of the tank? And are you talking about the filler hose that allows you to fill up the tank with gas? You could prolly find a junkyard and get the parts or the whole thing yourself. Dropping the tank isn't too hard unless your doing it with a full tank
I am just repeating what the deal wrote and discussed with me. I believe its a nipple that a vent hose goes to on the tank but just guessing really. I think your right. Getting a scrap tank would be cheaper. If its polyethylene Tank I could even weld it or any plastic for that matter. Don't know why the dealer couldn't but it might be a liability issue. Just seems like a poor design but what can you do. I do know this I am not paying $1450 to fix this ... Thanks for your suggestion.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra C1500 pickup that has been to a GMC dealer for service on three occasions in the past 4 months for a check engine light with codes P0442 and P0455. The dealer replaced a sensor near the gas tank on the first visit. A month later to the day the light came back on with the same codes. The dealer could not find any problems and updated to software in the computer. I purchased a code reader and over the next month I had two additional check engine light and codes P0442 and P0455. I cleared these codes but took notice that they seemed to come on following a heavy rain. Last week after a heavy rain the check engine light came on again, and I took it to the dealer. He again could find no problems and once again updated the software. The dealer advised me that they filled the gas tank and ran the vehicle for over 40 miles. They kept the vehicle and ran it the next day for over 20 miles. They advised me that a smoke test was run with no problems and that I could pickup the vehicle. Upon starting the vehicle the check engine light was once again lit. A heavy rain accrued over night. The dealer advised that they can't find a problem. Can you help?
Old June 5th, 2012, 9:01 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jrpike,

The EVAP canister valve assembly may need to be replaced. Under certain operating conditions, water, if ingested into the EVAP CVS fresh air intake/venting system, may reach the CVS valve causing corrosion in the CVS valve, and may cause restrictions in the fresh air intake path, when the valve is in the closed position.

This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 26th, 2013, 5:16 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

i have an 2004 chevy silverado 1500 2wd 4.3 the truck has 182,000 and i have never had a problem until now. i was driving and i was at a red light and i punched on the gas and 10 secondes later the trucks shuts of and i pull over try startin it and it wont start so i waited 5 mins it started but the light came on what could that be? i went to advance auto zone and car quest they put it on the computer and it read code p0016 crankshaft position senior and cam sensor so i replaced them and the light still not staying off what can that be? it has to be something minor i cleared the code after i put the parts in and it came onn again 5 mins people says can be this can be that i cant keep playing games here
Old January 26th, 2013, 5:33 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

i have an 2004 chevy silverado 1500 2wd 4.3 the truck has 182,000 and i have never had a problem until now. i was driving and i was at a red light and i punched on the gas and 10 secondes later the trucks shuts of and i pull over try startin it and it wont start so i waited 5 mins it started but the light came on what could that be? i went to advance auto zone and car quest they put it on the computer and it read code p0016 crankshaft position senior and cam sensor so i replaced them and the light still not staying off what can that be?
Old August 2nd, 2015, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

You Chevy owners are foolish. You are the enablers of a crooked company they call GM. Well known for rusting before they make it off the lot. Endless service and parts request AT YOUR EXPENSE. You guys just keep taking it up the rear and loving it. YOU are the reason why this kind of crap is being sold in the USA. Vehicles made in Mexico, Canada, and China. They arent even USA cars. I once had a Silverado in 2004. What a piece of crap. That thing rusted to the ground in less than 5 years. Endless hassles. My dad was a die hard Ford mechanic for many years. All I ever saw him doing was fixing them.

My wife and I became Toyota owners over the years and have had ZERO issues with them. We're beyond 223K miles and still going. Not a single repair other than usual brake pads, battery, tires, etc. I never even had to do a front end alignment! And they are made in the town i was raised in, GEORGETOWN KY. MADE IN USA. ANd for all those who like to say the parts come from JAPAN. GOOD! Because the Japanese always could build things better than USA. Far more reliable. Its not that USA can't build something reliable. It is because the corporations have no interest in reliability. They outsource our jobs and hire $2 slaves. Reliability is a dirty word in american business. Because it means loss of profits. There is no real pride here. Except self pride. Face the facts. Toyota rules the car industry in America. CHEVY SUX.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 2:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Silverado Check Engine Light

What toyota model do you recommend for towing my 30' gooseneck with a 14,000# backhoe loaded on it?
Old December 12th, 2015, 3:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default CEL on

Originally Posted by TexasM
Knarva,
sorry for not getting back to post a follow up on my check engine light problem. Apparantly that was the problem because I have not had the check engine light back on since it was repaired, and as you stated, it was expensive, over $300.

On another note, my next door neighbor has a 2004 Chevy Silverado, and his check engine light had been on for over a year,,,,hahahaha, he doesn't let small things bother him as much...
anyway after telling him about my repairs (and the fact he was needing to pass state inspection) he took his to our local dealer (Ron Craft Chevrolet) and had the same fault code. After changing his solenoid he also has the problem corrected.

Good luck on your as well, seems this must be a common item and wonder if a recall would be a better way to correct.
I topped off my fuel,kept clicking and clicking it out of habit,the next day my cel came on I replaced the purge valve by the manifold cel got reset,2days later it came on again,mechanic said its the one by the tank,do u think its cuz I kept clicking the gas pump after I topped off? My truck runs perfect and I don't smell Any fuel,to fix the problem I'm looking at about 200$ I don't know if maybe it's showing the cel cuz I topped off and kept clicking can u give me some insight pls