Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2017, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brutally honest

Originally Posted by therewolf
Well, don't sugar coat it Eric, tell us how you really feel...
that's what you always get grim me lol, so I also hate when someone posts but never updates, especially when they find the fix. ...so to prevent my hypocrisy from being boundless,
Here's what I did to resolve the issue.
Problem:2013 chevrolet silverado lt crew cab presents intermittent volume. Left front door and pillar speaker finally completely quit so no door chimes or turn signal sound at all.
I ordered the jbl 600c component for the front and jbl 602 for the rear doors, verified the front left woofer was toast, but the pillar was still intermittent, after doing the complete speaker swap on all 4 doors and both pillars the volume would still come on and off. I checked all pins on the speaker side wiring and verified continuity with a multi meter, which left only the head unit connectors out the head unit components.
Resolution: removed the plastic cover for the unit, found small piece of foil cable shielding fluttering around, also noticed when powered the right side would get very hot. This is where the heat sink (no fan on the unit) attaches and has thermal compound to the chips. There was excessive compound that's smooshed over the edge and contacting the pounds going on the board for the chips. Removed compound with alcohol and a fine brush, cleaned surfaces and applied artic silver correctly and put plastic shroud back in place and reattached heat sink, all has been fine for a week now and the radio functions as designed, no drop out or loss of chimes.
Before you drop $$ on a new head unit try this first, I still recommend the speaker replacement as the new jbl set only cost me about $90 and Crutchfield throws in the speaker adapters and wire terminal adapters with the package.
Old April 20th, 2017, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by baldana
On my 2008 Silverado, the radio works with no bass or you get the feeling that there are some speakers not working> I also turn up the volume all the way and it sounds like 25% of my Toyota. I sounds music with no bass.

I tested each speaker 1-by-1 and all works. I also turned off the "Auto-Volume" with no luck.

While driving, suddenly I get bass, the music start to sound good and the volume gets hard that I have to turn it down a lil bit.

Anyway similar occurrence...?
i have the same problem with my truck stereo 2008 Chevy Silverado
Old July 30th, 2018, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

It may just be a wiring or connection issue. That is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

so what? You want us to spend more money on a vehicle that already costed us an arm and a leg!

Old September 5th, 2018, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Assistance

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 4pepper,

Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Instead of telling folks to through good money after bad and go to a dealership that will drain your bank account, why don't you tell us what Chevrolet knows as the problem and the fix?

Old February 24th, 2019, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your cruise control issue

Your cruise control issue is the brake pedal switch. Replace it and you will see plus it only costs around $20 or less. I had the same issue on my 2010 Silverado so I replaced the switch & it is good to go!!
The following users liked this post:
Warren C Foster (January 7th, 2020)
Old February 24th, 2019, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Agree!
Old February 25th, 2019, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 2008 Silverado crew cab. I purchased a kit on ebay that had four Rockford Fosgate speakers, mounts to put them in the door, and wire harness adapters for around $100.00. Works and sounds great now.
Old January 7th, 2020, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cruise problem

Originally Posted by Joshc22
I have the same problem. I can tap my brake and it will let my cruse work sometimes. Did you ever hear anything about this??
The problem is the brake light switch mounted to the brake pedal it's like 15$ I had same issues and I bet you also when you can't use cruise the lights are acting up on back! All u need is a 10mm socket or wrench to remove the bolt and slide it off and slide a new one and replace bolt takes like 5 minutes...

Last edited by Warren C Foster; January 7th, 2020 at 8:17 PM. Reason: Spelling n grammar
Old March 10th, 2020, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

I have been living with the same problem as most of you have been no sound from my speakers. I will now look into replacing my speakers. Because it looks like CHEVY won’t do a thing about it other than ask for more money. By taking it to a dealer to have it looked at and fixed I have been a Chevy man my entire life, but when they won’t fix a reoccurring problem. Why would I want to buy another.
Old December 20th, 2020, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by elmerd
Vtprarie my left rear door takes on water from time to time but I had the issue before that
If you look inside at the bottom of the door there is a plastic piece that you can remove and there you will find drains that are plugged and small rubber pieces you can remove to let the water drain. Mine were plugged with dirt, etc.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue