Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Ring job at 81k now cam and lifters bad 99k

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2016, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring job at 81k now cam and lifters bad 99k

I hope I can get some advice; I see a lot of thread and posting related to the 5.3 cam and lifter issues. I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3 with AFM. When I hit 81,00 miles I noticed a significant smoke issue at start-up. I took it to the dealer and they identified the problem as failed piston rings. I was still under warranty so the repairs were completed. Now, 18,000 miles after the ring job the cam and lifters are bad. I picked the truck up from the dealer without much discussion and now I am wondering. Should I expect some warranty coverage since it was in the shop just 18k and a few months ago? The mileage is now 99k and over 5years. It seems to me that Chevrolet should consider the circumstances of the repeat visit. I am assuming when I call the service manager tomorrow he will say "no go" any advice?
Old March 13th, 2016, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Quick update. I left a message for the service manager on Monday, March 7th asking him to review both of my invoices and to call me to discuss the repairs. I waited all week for contact and he didn't return my call. I called again on Friday the 11th and left him another message. Not happy that he isn't returning my calls. This is Al Serra in Colorado Springs, very highly rated, I am going to try to remain curious and make some more contacts Monday.
Old October 19th, 2016, 1:23 AM
CF Beginner

i have found a used 2010 chevrolet Z71 with only 10K miles. it has the 5.3 engine. after reading all the stuff on the internet about the fuel saver thing (i forgot the correct name) should i go look at the truck of run for the hills? haha

Originally Posted by CJ2010
I hope I can get some advice; I see a lot of thread and posting related to the 5.3 cam and lifter issues. I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3 with AFM. When I hit 81,00 miles I noticed a significant smoke issue at start-up. I took it to the dealer and they identified the problem as failed piston rings. I was still under warranty so the repairs were completed. Now, 18,000 miles after the ring job the cam and lifters are bad. I picked the truck up from the dealer without much discussion and now I am wondering. Should I expect some warranty coverage since it was in the shop just 18k and a few months ago? The mileage is now 99k and over 5years. It seems to me that Chevrolet should consider the circumstances of the repeat visit. I am assuming when I call the service manager tomorrow he will say "no go" any advice?
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by glyn
i have found a used 2010 chevrolet Z71 with only 10K miles. it has the 5.3 engine. after reading all the stuff on the internet about the fuel saver thing (i forgot the correct name) should i go look at the truck of run for the hills? haha
If it only has 10k miles, you can disable the AFM and that should theoretically eliminate most potential problems.

Besides, a lot folks, even on this site, claim the AFM issues were "fixed" starting with the '10 model year. I am dubious as to the veracity of that claim.

There's a reason neither of the trucks in my sig have a 5.3 in them.