Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Electrical issues galore

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2016, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues galore

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500. It has the 5.3 and towing package. It is a reg cab 2x4. More electrical issues pop up all the time. It started with the passenger/ child air bag light always staying illuminated (seat empty or full). The cruise control does not work (light functions, but it does not hold the speed). The radio back light is always dim, which does a good job of complimenting my headlights, which dim at their leisure. I have an aftermarket trailer brake controller plugged in to the factory exposed harness above the pedals. When the trailer is plugged in, I have to manually adjust the controller because every time I hit the gas, the controller applies brakes (I live in the mountains, so this makes towing an exciting time). As an added bonus, the controller will lock up my trailer brakes when the trailer is empty. It provides for some interesting looks when my tandem axle trailer is leaving drag marks down the road until i can find a place to stop without getting plowed into, and disconnect the cord from the 7pin (I have replaced the battery on the trailer, the plug, and the controller). None of the fuses i can easily access have blown. Oh...I almost forgot,...now my check charging system light comes on,...but....and I'm not making this up....only when I am NOT experiencing any of the other issues. I'll be driving somewhere in the city, lights not flickering, trailer brakes actually functioning correctly, and BAM...the freaking idiot light pops up.

I have no doubt this can all be fixed by changing one micro fuse or other small chip, mounted behind the firewall (you know, the one where you have to pull the engine to access it). What are y'alls' thoughts? Set it on fire? Wait for the next push pull or drag event? Slap some Ford emblems on it, and accept that I have a lemon? i have checked all the simple and easy to access and test items.

Living the dream in VA
Old October 21st, 2016, 4:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonIam;328883[B
I have an aftermarket trailer brake controller plugged in to the factory exposed harness above the pedals.
[/B]
Living the dream in VA
I'd say that's the issue