Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ABS problems

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2006, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problems

I have a long running problem with my 99 Tahoe.
When coming to a stop, the abs activates at about 5 mph ie just before you actually stop.
I've tried everything (and spent a small fortune) to try and fix this.
Does anybody know what is causing this and how to fix it.
Old January 29th, 2006, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: ABS problems

Have you replaced the wheel bearings? Apparantly the sensor for the ABS lives in the wheel bearings and this is quit a common problem. There is a diagnostic tool that can tell you which one is bad, becasue they are expensize little buggers.
Old January 31st, 2006, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Mario, I've learned a lot about abs lately.
I have had the hub checked, because it could have been the interruptor ring, which is the thing the sensor senses apparently, but that appeared to be fine.
I have booked in at a GM approved garage on Friday to have the sensors checked. I'm just hoping that they find a problem but they didn't seem to sure about being able to detect it.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

The problem has finally been fixed.
Apparently there was a build up of rust on the sensor, which once removed seems to have fixed it. At least for now.
Old September 9th, 2008, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

I am having this exact problem on my 1999 Suburban half ton with 122K on the dial up here in the rust belt. It almost caused an accident.

How do you perform this repair?

Thank you,

-JR

Old October 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Anyone?

Old October 10th, 2008, 5:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found service bulletin for this issue Buddies. this may helpl you to solve the case. I think so

[hr]
[/align]
#PIT3707: Information on the Upcoming Safety Recall 05068 Front Wheel Speed Sensor Corrosion - keywords ABS activation brake campaign sensor speed unwanted - (Sep 1, 2005) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Information on the Upcoming Safety Recall 05068 Front Wheel Speed Sensor Corrosion[/align][align=left]

Models:
1999-2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban and Tahoe [/align][align=left]

1999-2002 GMC Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL [/align]

[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Note:This Information is for United States Dealers only. Canadian Dealers Should See Safety Recall 04094 Dated January 2005
Based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site, the media may report that General Motors will be announcing a safety recall involving certain 1999-2002 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche and GMC Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles.
These vehicles may experience unwanted antilock brake system (ABS) activation and increased stopping distances during low-speed brake applications (greater than 3.7 mph but less than 10 mph). This condition does not set any ABS codes nor does it illuminate the ABS warning lamp. This condition is more likely to occur in environmentally corrosive areas, based on field report data from the U. S. and Canada. Accordingly, this recall will be launched in the "rust belt" states of Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia only.
To correct this condition, dealers are to remove the wheel speed sensor and thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface on the bearing, apply Zinc-X (rust inhibitor) to the cleaned surface, grease the mounting surface, reinstall the wheel speed sensor, and check the peak-to-peak output voltage to ensure the wheel speed signal is within specifications. These repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Approximately 804,000 vehicles are involved. GM is working with its suppliers to obtain the required parts as quickly as possible. Based on the anticipated schedule, we plan to begin notifying customers about this recall in November 2005.
GMVIS information for this recall will not be available until the recall bulletin is released to dealers in November 2005.
Recommendation/Instructions:
Do not attempt any repairs until Campaign 05068 is released. [/align][/align]
Old October 14th, 2008, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

I took my vehicle into the stealer, and they said that my VIN was not included in this recall. I pointed out that what is described is exactly the problem my vehicle exhibits, and I live in the Rust Belt. All they could say was sorry. Their estimate to replace and repair the sensors is $800. I think that I will try the cleaning and Zinc-X procedure myself.

Thank you for pointing it out.

-JR

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS problem

I think this is recurring problem for everyone. I recommend you go to certified car dealers and get the problem fixed once for all.
Old December 20th, 2009, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Check brake light ABS light comes on after a mile

I have an 03 silverado that had 6in suspension lift and 325/75r16 tires on it. I had it regeared from stock 3.73's to 4'56's when i was deployed. As soon as i drove it the ABS light and service brake light came on. I bought the hyper tech computer to recalibrate the odometer and put 35X12.50R20's on 20 in rims...my light still comes on after recalibrating it. I tried one of those pay for answer sites and they tld me that a dealer had to reprogam my truck. I have been to 4 dealers in the area, even had one tear into the ABS sencers and still no one has a clue. The only thing i can come up with is maybe it is my E-brake because when i set it; it goes to the floor. Dones anyone have an idea of what i can do? this is annoying as all hell.

Quick Reply: ABS problems