Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

fuel pump problem 2000 Astro ??

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump problem 2000 Astro ??

I have a 2000 Astro van,109,000 miles.I had tuned up recently including changing fuel filter.The vehicle just quit the other day on me.I do have spark and it cranks over great.I swapped relays(fuel pump)but still no start.I do not hear the pump cycle when the key is turned on/off.Should you hear this or am I not looking in the right direction.It previously would give me some problems when it was damp/raining out,sometimes chug. Thanks.Also any one have problems with the fan/blower not working under load ? Thanks Bob J.
Old June 1st, 2010, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Astro no start - listen for fuel pump

Hi - yep, should hear the fuel pump cycle whenever the key is turned on. Had to change fuel filter in our '99 a year ago, was 'way overdue, filter was really bad. Seems dirty filter makes the pump work harder and guess what, fuel pump died 2 weeks later. Too bad GM didn't put an access cover in the van floor over the tank, would be no sweat to change the pump - but you have to drop the tank to get at the pump.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 5:30 AM
CF Active Member

An access door just gives the van another place to rust and increases the chance of exhaust gas entering the vehicle, no thanks.

I've replaced the pump in four of my vans, my 1994 twice because the first time I didn't know that only the ACDelco/Delphi pumps actually last in these vans. Good for about 100k when the fuel filter is change regularly. It's really not that bad of a job to drop the tank, in most cases the dead pump (weak really) can be used to empty the tank (making your buddies happy as they get free gas from you).

I bought Grumpy on the cheap partially cause the PO had put in a cheap Airtex pump in the summer and by winter it wouldn't build enough pressure to start the van.
Old July 12th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel Pump Information

I am approaching that unsettling time in life where I am going to have to face an unpleasant event. I am going to have to replace the fuel pump on my 99 before I get left on the road side. I bought the van used with 106k miles, now it has 180k.
The two things I have been thinking about is what brand of pump to buy and can I cut an access hole in the floor to replace the pump so I don't have to pay someone to drop the tank. The vote of confidence for the AC Delco pump makes me feel better as I now have some reference but my van is a work car with a lot of miles. The idea of cutting an access hole in the steel floor does not bother me near as much as the possibility of damaging the carpet. Sealing the panel from fumes can be easily done with silicone or other similar gasket maker, welding brackets onto the cutout with the right fasteners can make the cutout securely attached.
Is there anyone out there that has followed through on this idea? If so was it worth the trouble?
Old July 14th, 2010, 3:02 PM
CF Active Member

I invite you to reread my post just above yours.

Also, the ACDelco/Delphi pumps can be bought for roughly the same price as the cheap ones.

See this page I built.

http://sites.google.com/site/astrosa...el-pumps-tanks

Last edited by ihatemybike; July 14th, 2010 at 3:04 PM.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

im having the exact trouble and i just replaced the fuel pump two months ago, dont know what the ac problem is with the load but im betting i have to replace the fuel pump again and im really thinking on cutting a hole, ive replaced 4 fuel pumps on this this van. Ill get a ac delco just to relieve the problem with bad fuel pumps.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 5:51 AM
CF Active Member

Who's pumps have you been installing? Do you change the inline fuel filter?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 8:30 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm having the same problem on my 99...got a code for my MAFS...changed it out with a brand new one, but not before I could not start the van due to bd Fuel filter...FF was dirty as hell!! Prob original! I read that if you change the FF every 100k and use SeaFoam or good additives, your pump will last longer as well as the fuel system. Going to the garage tomorrow and do a fuel pressure test (60-66psi recommnended) if it's low I will drop the tank have the fuel pump relay tested and go from there! I have to shoot starting fluid to get it started now...but I will say once it's started she rolls like a champ.....With the new fuel filter it's a difference! I beleive the old one was forcing the FP to work harder!!

BTW I noticed a difference in the sound as it primes!! It was more hollow than the high whine that you here once it starts!!

Last edited by djoker04; July 23rd, 2010 at 9:44 AM.
Old July 24th, 2010, 2:11 PM
CF Active Member

The Astro/Safari forums recommend changing the fuel filter every 20K miles.

Being able to keep the van running once started with starting fluid is usually a sign that the pump is no longer able to reach the higher starting pressure. I see a full pump replacement in your future.
Old July 27th, 2010, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ihatemybike
The Astro/Safari forums recommend changing the fuel filter every 20K miles.

Being able to keep the van running once started with starting fluid is usually a sign that the pump is no longer able to reach the higher starting pressure. I see a full pump replacement in your future.

LOL...funny you should say that!! I had bought the Pump with new filters and hose for the module! Went to the self help garage to change it out. Those dang fuel lines are a mother to get off. Got 2 off but when we tried to get the 3rd one off the tank slipped down and broke the nozzle. Had to wait till Monday and go to someone that had a van in his yard for parts. Got the module out and other parts. Changing out Thursday!

Anyone in the DMV area needing parts off a 98 AND a 2000 Astro...hit me up djoker04@comcast.net! He has complete motor and electric Parts! I'll repost this in another section!

Quick Reply: fuel pump problem 2000 Astro ??