Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

My Sound System

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2014, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Sound System

Completely after market parts list.

This install is on a 2003 Chevy Malibu LS.

Speakers

Rear
Pioneer ts-a6995R nothing special but it works for now.
Mounting was a challenge but using some silicone, self tapping screws and modifying the stock grill to fit over the 6x9 has made the install worth it.

Front
Pioneer TS-A4675R once again nothing special but aftermarket after all.
I used the Included adapter that came with my set from Crutchfield to install these.

Head Unit
Pioneer DEH-X6600BT. This head unit is amazing. It offers so many inputs for getting your music going. It also came with a mic for use with phone calls. Is Bluetooth as well so pairing your phone to this or iPod touch is simple. I actually use an SSD with a USB adapter that fits into the USB slot works just fine.

Subwoofer
Polk DXi1240DVC. Run of the mill 12 in. sub. This particular sub is not extremely loud but I have it paired with a sealed enclosure because I like nice tight Bass that's not overpowering to my music.

Amps

Speakers
Pioneer GM-D8604. A 4 channel amp that's a class D powered my 4 speakers. It is definitely a minimalist amp.

Sub
Cant remember the model name but it is a crunch monoblock class D 1000w amp. I'm running my sub in parallel since its dual voice coil. Just enough power so i can crank it if wanted and feel the ca vibrate decently.

Wiring
Speakers
Stinger pro series 14gauge

Subwoofer
Stinger Pro Series 12gauge

Wiring kit
Stinger sk4641 4 gauge amp installation kit (X2)

All the speakers were individually wired using Stinger pro series 14g wire. The sub woofer is using Stinger 12g wire. All the terminals were striped and crimped in place using butt connector and spades that were gold plated. I could have used or built a distribution block for ground and power but I had a spare Stinger 4 gauge installation kit along with one I picked up online. So I literally have (2) 4 gauge 12v constants running through the firewall to the trunk area all tucked under the panels and under the rear seat to the trunk with the right side speaker wire and the remote sub control. The Remote signal cable running on the passenger side with the passenger side speaker wires and my 3 sets of stinger rca interconnects.

MISC>
axxess/metra gmrc-01 adapter to keep the chimes and warning chimes and the key less auto lock chimes working. Which many of you may know also has the added benefit of including a 12v constant for the radio wiring Which our or maybe some of these cars do not have outside of the factory radio.

Metra gm dash kit for the housing added another din pocket for my remotes and SSD.

A Metra radio antenna adapter and your all done.

Most importantly I put this system together in Pieces. This allowed me to get familiar with the car and how panels and pieces are put together resulting in a much cleaner and seamless install. After the initial install i left everything pulled apart and tested the system to ensure it was all working and took my time and made sure that left was playing left and right was playing right, rear and front. It always helps to research parts and wiring diagrams and factory radio harness and so on before you start a project with the radio system. After All was confirmed working properly I buttoned it all back together and it sat there tuning for quite some time. (Remember to turn the car on every so often to avoid draining your battery.)

Last edited by 03malibubu; September 30th, 2014 at 7:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the car year/model
Old October 7th, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Nice! any photos of the system?
Old October 9th, 2014, 3:38 AM
CF Beginner

I'll take some this weekend been meaning to do that but time is usually against me.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default 06 impala

hey I have a 2006 chevy impala and, I want to put in an aftermarket stereo system. I am having trouble finding the right wiring harness. I have found the ones that allow the use of onstar but, I cant afford that part, does any one know of a wire harness that is just the two wires and not the onstar parts. please help!!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Pics please!