Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

07 avalance 5.3 severe excessive oil consmption

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2013, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 avalance 5.3 severe excessive oil consmption

Hey! I recently bought a 07 chevy avalanche have only had it for 2 weeks it had a oil change when i bought it at 98883 im now at 99631 and the oil light came on and is only barely at the first dot on the dipstick?? i do have a 30 day warranty from the dealer and plan on taking it in in the morning just wondering if anyone knows what they will do or if youve had similar experience?? Thanks in advance
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jesskiby88,

I’m sorry to hear of this issue with your vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 1st, 2013, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

There are a lot of variables here. Did you check the oil level yourself previously in the last 2 weeks, or did you just assume that if they changed the oil then the level must be right?

They may not have put enough in, and fluctuations in engine temperature and ambient temperature may have pushed a borderline level from ok to alarm.

What you need to do is get the current situation documented with the dealer now so that if you have continued problems after the 30 days, you have record that it was a pre-existing unresolved issue before the 30 days expired.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Let me know what you find out from the dealer, I have the same issue.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default oil

I would sell it while you still can, the dealerships claim to have fixed this issue however my 2007 has been at the dealership for over 2 weeks now with a blown engine and they will not take any responsibility for it. I have had it in and out of the shop for 8 months dealing with the problem and this is the final result. Make sure to keep detailed records and hold them to their work. I only ave 72,000 miles.
Old October 11th, 2013, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Chevy has an issue with the Flex Fuel rings. Mine started using oil around 90,000 miles. It was still under warranty and they fixed it for free. Otherwise it would have cost me $4500. I would return it. Chevy fixed the issue in the 2011's and newer.
Old October 12th, 2013, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 avalance 5.3 severe excessive oil consmption

Does anyone know if the problem is associated with oil type, as in real or synthetic?

I have been told that in some cases, synthetic is so slick that the rings slide right by and then what's left on the cylinder wall gets burned.

Can anyone substantiate this?
Old October 12th, 2013, 4:27 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by aford15
Does anyone know if the problem is associated with oil type, as in real or synthetic?

I have been told that in some cases, synthetic is so slick that the rings slide right by and then what's left on the cylinder wall gets burned.

Can anyone substantiate this?
I have never heard such a thing, and do not believe that to be in any way plausible...
As I understand it, synthetics have more durability to retain there lubricating properties longer then conventional oil... they are not more "slippery" Synthetics are designed to hold up longer under harsh conditions...