Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

07 Avalanche roof panel antenna install.

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2011, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Avalanche roof panel antenna install.

Hi Guys

I am wanting to install a NMO style antenna in the roof of my Avalanche. For the people who are not sure what that is, A 3/4 inch hole is drilled into the roof of the truck and a mount is installed into the roof that allows the antenna cable to be inside the body of the truck above the headliner. My Avalanche has the DVD player and a sunroof. I know the antenna would need to be mounted near the rear part of the roof. The problem I have is I dont want to drill a hole if I cant get the antenna wire fished down the door pillar down to the 2 way radio that is located under the back seat. Has anyone installed this style of antenna that could give me some direction. If there was a dome light on the inside this would not be an issue. I am not sure if I remove the rear plastic from around the back window if there is something that can be removed to assist me with fishing of the wire.

Any help would be great.
Old September 7th, 2011, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After talking to my dependable parts guy at the GM dealship and had a look at some roof panel drawings I did a little looking and decided to take the chance and drill the 3/4 inch hole. I didnt have any problems fishing the wires to the passenger side rear cab pillar. Install was easy. Not sure why I was chicken to try it right away. The only thing to be aware of is the air bags in the roof liner. Make sure the coax runs behind the airbag and not between the airbag and the head liner.
Attached Thumbnails 07 Avalanche roof panel antenna install.-dsc01012.jpg