Battery gauage reading really high!! - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Battery gauage reading really high!!

October 10th, 2011, 4:19 PM   #1  
CF Beginner
Battery gauage reading really high!!

Since I bought my 1997 camaro a few weeks ago its battery gauge has read really high at almost 18 less than a hair from the red mark. Its lowers slowly but not by much after you drive it a while. The other day I went to leave the bank (it usually takes a couple of tries to get it to start) and she wouldn't start. I got a jump and went to the shop. Was told bad battery and good alternator. Replaced the battery. She start right up on the first crank the next couple times I drove it and the gauge read normal at around 13. Now its back to taking it a couple of times to start and the gauge is reading high again. What is the deal?

October 10th, 2011, 5:36 PM   #2  
CF Veteran
Welcome to the forum. Although they said "good alternator," it sure sounds like you have an alternator problem. With engine running, the alternator should put out .5-2.5 volts higher than the battery voltage. If the gauge in the I/P cluster is to be trusted, it's putting out too high a voltage and boiling the battery. Take it back to the shop and ask them to check the charging voltage.

October 10th, 2011, 6:24 PM   #3  
CF Beginner
Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate the advice. Im hoping to get it figured out soon. Needing to replace the catalytic converter soon so I would like to get this problem out of the way.

October 10th, 2011, 7:31 PM   #4  
CF Addict
You need to check it with a voltmeter, if it is that high, your battery is shot. Do you have any starting issues with it?

October 10th, 2011, 8:34 PM   #5  
CF Beginner
kevinkpk  You need to check it with a voltmeter, if it is that high, your battery is shot. Do you have any starting issues with it?
i just replaced the battery three days ago. and yes it usually takes two cranks to start.

October 10th, 2011, 9:00 PM   #6  
CF Addict
You need to verify the charging voltage with an external meter, is it slow cranking with the new battery? Did that change with the old battery?

October 10th, 2011, 9:17 PM   #7  
CF Beginner
the first cranks you her clicking and trying to start but you have to let off her and try it a second time to get her to actually start. its been that way with both batteries.

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors