Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Disable Theftlock in 01 Cavalier?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2015, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Theftlock in 01 Cavalier?

My battery died in my 2001 Cavalier and now LOC is displayed on the radio screen. I know what the whole Theftlock thing is about and how it works. So how do I get it off my radio? The common solution I'm coming across online where it says to hold down presets 2 and 3 isn't working for me (when I hold them down, nothing happens). Now I was reading further online that people said that if nothing happens when pressing down the buttons then to have the car run for an hour or something and then it should work so I will try that. But I'm Not willing to pay a dealer $50-100 just to press a few buttons either!

Last edited by umjorge2; February 17th, 2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old February 18th, 2015, 7:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by umjorge2
My battery died in my 2001 Cavalier and now LOC is displayed on the radio screen. I know what the whole Theftlock thing is about and how it works. So how do I get it off my radio? The common solution I'm coming across online where it says to hold down presets 2 and 3 isn't working for me (when I hold them down, nothing happens). Now I was reading further online that people said that if nothing happens when pressing down the buttons then to have the car run for an hour or something and then it should work so I will try that. But I'm Not willing to pay a dealer $50-100 just to press a few buttons either!
My 1994 had a master code that was supplied with the vehicle to turn it off. Look in your documentation/etc. Also google for the owner's manual which will explain your theftloc.

If you don't have the master code- I imagine you will need to go to the dealer and they will have to call it in to unlock the radio.

You should probably look into replacing the radio then.
Old February 19th, 2015, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

My manual just says what the Theftlock is but doesn't say anymore than that. Can't seem to find a master code anywhere either. I still want to try the holding down buttons method after the radio has been on for an hour and hope that it will actually work. I simply can't believe that because you have a battery that dies, which will happen a few times over the lifetime time of the vehicle, that the radio would just lock and you have to go to a dealer who will charge way too much just to press a few buttons?? It better not come to that. Having to change out the radio sounds like a pain too. They really messed up with this Theftlock thing!
Old February 19th, 2015, 1:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are supposed to know your code - It is given to you when you buy the car - hence it wouldn't matter if your battery drains several times over the life of the vehicle.

If you had the code- you can turn it off and not worry about it.

The fact that you don't have the code - I am suspicious now.. maybe you have a stolen radio that doesn't work because you don't have the code.
Old February 19th, 2015, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

We bought the car used a few years ago and never knew such a code existed until now. We bought it off of my wifes brother and I asked and he didnt know about any code either so it's been lost over the years of different ownership. Too bad this has to be my problem now. Is the code always in the owners manual or could it be somewhere else?

Last edited by umjorge2; February 19th, 2015 at 3:38 PM.