Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Leaking coolant (replaced water pump and tstat)

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2013, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant (replaced water pump and tstat)

I did use the search but I can't find anything specific. I recently replaced the thermostat on my cavalier bc it was over heating. Didn't have any issues afterwards, pressure test was done found nothing, then drove it on a 500 mile trip and then it started to over heat. I figured the water pump went out so I replaced that also. After I replaced the pump and took it for a drive the engine got hot, then it slowly started to cool down. It stayed around 195ish and then it just started to get hot. After I pulled over and took a look at it I noticed that it was now leaking coolant on the passenger side of the motor, more towards the back side. It won't hold any coolant right now and its overheating. I assume it is bc it isn't holding coolant. It didn't leak before I replaced the pump, it isn't leaking around the pump either and I can't figure out where it is leaking from. I had also done some reading and it said that there is a certain way you have to service it or it will leak out the coolant and there is a valve on top of the motor to release air bubbles out of the cooling system. I can't find anything that gives step by step instructions and I'd really like to figure out.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If I didn't provide enough info just ask and I'll put it up.
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignore the valve for the time being. It more than likely is an air relive vent. It could be possible there is a broken coolant line that might feed the water pump. If the bolts weren't torqued to spec it could also allow a leak. Something else to keep in mind the gasket could have been damaged during install.