Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

NEED HELP! Bleeding slave cylinder (internal)

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2016, 1:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Bleeding slave cylinder (internal)

2002 Chevy cavalier 2.2 MANUAL trans.

So so recently I've taken the transmission down and back up 3 times. The reason is that I cannot get the clutch to disengage (go into neutral. The reason is that the slave is not bled or it's something else. I have blown though 2 slave cylinders. Spent way more money than I expected. The car was given to me and all I had to do was replace he clutch. I have tried vacuum as well as the manual (pedal) bleeding. I am 99.9 percent that everything is right. Please tell me specifically, what procedure I have to do because I have no clue what to do next.
Old October 1st, 2016, 8:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you are sure the clutch is not moving it full range...bleed the m/c. the best way to bleed clutch master cylinders is remove it from the vehicle and bench bleed it. hang the m/c vertically with the reservoir at the top. pump the m/c and periodically, tap the lines to move air bubbles up to the reservoir.
lots of video's on youtube.
Old October 1st, 2016, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default In addition....

I have replaced the slave, master, flywheel, actuator and line, along with the clutch and pressure plate.

i did bleed the master before I put it in.

I need to to know how to bleed this damn slave
Old October 1st, 2016, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

are you referring to the clutch actuator cylinder in the transmission?

due to the shape of the m/c lines...during bench bleeding, if you did not put the m/c on an incline and tap the lines; air will still be in the system. you cannot bench bleed it flat. If any air is trapped in the m/c the rest of the system will not bleed.

Once the m/c is bled and installed put a vacuum on the reservoir and press continuously on the pedal for 30 sec....release and let sit for 30 sec repeat until all the air is bled.
Old October 1st, 2016, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

I'll try that to tonight
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Didn't work

lots of air bubbles. No further movement of the slave cylinder. I have a borescope and I tested before and after, 4 hours later. This is the most frustrating job I've ever done. I don't have a clue what's wrong and why I can bleed the system. I'm ready to drive it to the river.

Any other suggestions?????
Old October 2nd, 2016, 9:35 AM
Super Moderator