Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

98 2.2L hard start sometimes, after firing?

Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2.2L hard start sometimes, after firing?

So my cavalier ALWAYS starts, but the majority of the time it has a hard time starting. Always powerful cranks (edit expands on this so please read that before continuing), so I know it isn't electrical or starter. It seems to me over the course of this issue (Been about a year, very slowly getting worse, almost unnoticeable) that it's a fuel issue, since it smells like gas on startup. The car never has an issue once started.

Lately it has been after firing I THINK. I'm not 100% that is what this noise is called, maybe a back fire, but it only happens when cranking before start up. It's a loud pop, sometimes multiple in a row and it sounds like the car turns over quicker after the pop, but still take a few second to start. Sometimes I press the gas pedal to start it, which usually does the trick or help it along.

I am working on getting some videos to show the noise and the slow rough start. It's really been a big issue with this car ever since the last issue I had, which was a $10 fix after throwing over $1,000 at it over time.

1998 Cavalier 2.2L Automatic trans, mostly used for delivery so start and stop driving and on and off at least 10+ times a day. Has 136,000 miles and I've been the 2nd owner since 54,000 miles. Oil change every 3,000 - 6,000 miles. Any questions or comments would help a TON. I'll be watching this post like a hawk.

EDIT:

Last edited by iBlackSunday; October 2nd, 2016 at 1:42 PM.

Search this Thread