Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

radio causing cluster problems

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2013, 7:59 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation radio causing cluster problems

I recently installed a pioneer double DIN head unit in my '04 cav z24 and ever sinnce then i have had major problems with my cluster, at first the gauges went all screwy but since they have returned to normal and only occasionally cause problems. recently it has been acting up when i put the ignition to "on" without starting the car, my daytime running lights flick on and off and the instrument cluster making a loud whirring noise. Now to the most current issue - the car wont start sometimes and occasionally dies (when im in the drive thru for some reason) - mostly it will start for a second then die. I dont know what i have done but i know i did it wrong and i want to fix it before i get stranded. I would like to add that i did use the wiring harness w/ chimes and antenna adapter, and followed the instructions the only wire that didnt get connected to anything was the orange illumination wire but that is because i had nowhere to put it. (shorting???) Please help me!

tl;dr
new stereo causing cluster problems and car not to start sometimes
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not likely that installing the radio is causing your issue. Very slim possibility. Just to see completely remove and adapter, drive it for a few days and see if car is back to normal.