Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

tailgate 3rd light causing problems to all vans

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2010, 6:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry tailgate 3rd light causing problems to all vans

I just had my 3rd light replaced under the warranty on our 2009 uplander van. The van is just one year old and my plastic lens was cracked badly around the screws that secure it. Not only that the lens was cracked but the edges on the side of the lens have created indentations on the paint and damaged the paint to the point that the rust was ready to breed because the paint was gone. I started to do my own inquiry about this problem because of the early time it takes to create the problem. I went on my dealer parking lot which had about 8 uplander for sale. All of them were cracked and some of them the rust was very evident to see and the paint was lifting. I found out why this problem happens: first the lens is of very good quality and it is made by HELLA a very good company if not one of the best for quality. The problem is where it fits. This lens has sharp edges and cause indentation in the body where the lens sits . it is not large enough and when the lens is installed it contact the edges of the lens before the screws are tight creating the lens to crack and cut through the paint and causing rust. I am sure that all uplander except maybe a few are involved by this error. I FOUND A CURE TO FIX IT. It may be too late for you because your lens is certaily cracked allready but for the ones with a new light here is what I did and it work. So easy: take a sandpaper and sand gently aprx a little portion on each side of the lens with care to not damage the finish. Try it if it is enough to clear the fit and voila the repair is done. Dont tighten the screws too tight and it will not crack again. By the way the venture has not this problem. The lens is different than the uplander even if they look the same. I dont understand why they did not noticed this problem at the factory when they were built.
Old June 20th, 2010, 8:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The lens was cracked on my '07 Uplander as well. It was replaced under warranty in it's first year. Thanks for the update.
Old August 9th, 2010, 7:44 AM
CF Junior Member

My '05 Uplander has a slight fracture in the plastic near one screw hole. I have checked this lens regularly through out the years since the van was new and the crack has developed in the past 12 months. My van is garage kept 12/24, otherwise it might have happened sooner. This is typical of some of the general history and issues with the Uplander.
Old August 13th, 2010, 5:36 AM
CF Active Member

Ice 777. Over the problem of the lens that cracks the other problem is with the damages this lens cause to the paint because of the tight fit on the sides. it create an indentation in the paint and soon after the rust start. Have a look on each side. When they supplied me with a new lens I shaved a bit the contact points with sandpaper. Another problem I found is the lens does not seal 100% and let the rain water inside the tailgate frame. A small bead of silicone took care of this.
Old August 15th, 2010, 8:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the advice.... I will look at mine more carefully and fix it accordingly.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Our 97 had this problem so I watched for it on our new 05. Cracked after only 2 weeks of use. Got it replaced under warranty.

We also had the door trim (on the rear drivers door I think) start to come of right away. They put a new one on and it has been fine for 5 yrs.

ISZ
Old August 22nd, 2010, 6:55 AM
CF Senior Member

The door trim on our '07 rear driver's door became "loose" shortly after we got the van. I went around both rear doors and made sure that the trim was seated securely all the way around and the door trims have been fine since.
Almost like the trim wasn't snapped all the way around right from Doraville..
Old August 22nd, 2010, 5:38 PM
CF Senior Member

I would think so... don't take "NO" for an answer.
Old August 27th, 2010, 8:27 PM
CF Active Member

To evil within: Your lens should still be on warranty. Your milleage is less than 60000 kilometers and your van is less than 3 years old. Get yours before the basic warranty on all these items runs out.
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Evil~Within
i will try im a stay at home dad that has to take a 3 month old every where i go. i realy don't wanna wait around for a hr for them to order the part and have to come back and wait another hr for the install . lol
Hey, well don't then ..... the GM tech isn't going to come to the house.

You seem to be able to find time to play with your headlights.

Last edited by Papa Bear; August 28th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: tailgate 3rd light causing problems to all vans