Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Tried to install a new stereo in 2000 Cavalier and now it will not run

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2016, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried to install a new stereo in 2000 Cavalier and now it will not run

My wife's mother gave us her 2000 Cavalier when the doctors said she couldn't drive anymore and when I went to install an aftermarket CD player to replace the cassette deck stereo
The car then developed this issue.

I researched this before hand because I heard some horror stories about it. So after digging around a couple hours I located an adapter at AutoZone that stated all chimes and related "accessories" that the factory radio enables. It was a 40 dollar adapter, and I felt pretty confident after reading all the instructions. I build bikes and jeeps,,do almost all my own work and work in the IT industry , so I feel pretty good about the whole process. Also I read there is a "T" harness that can be used but the old radio must be in the trunk.

The part I got at AutoZone is made by PAC, (Pacific Accessory Corporation) labelled as a "vehicle specific plug-n-play smart harness. Part number AGZM11.
Box said it keeps all the chimes, enables use with the factory amp ( none in my vehicle) and restores the radio turn on function from the key.

This is the reason I got this unit to maintain these features

So I removed the dash,, disabled the airbags, I did EVERYTHING that the directions told me to do. And when it went to go time, the radio did not come on and the car started for 30 seconds or so then shut off.
I messed around a bit with it then said "screw this" and replaced the factory radio back in and re-plugged the one connector, and the antenna and again tried to start the vehicle. SAME ISSUE.

Went to Google to attempt to restore it back ,,sure I found "fixes" and none worked. So now here I am asking the people that I should have asked to begin with. There are all kinds of them and I tried 5.
All 5 involved leaving the key on for various lengths of time, and in various sequences. I even tried "resetting" the computer by removing the positive cable for a while.

I hope someone can give me some ideas,, Actually am thinking that it the ANTI-THEFT component that is causing me the grief.
CAN this (ahem) "feature" be disabled or made inoperative? so I can install the new Kenwood I have ? (actually it is 2 years old)

OH,,, I did NOT CUT anything, no wires were harmed during this clusterF***.

Thanks all, I really mean it,,,I am totally at a loss on this one, NEVER have I encountered such a pain in the a** issue while replacing an audio component

Last edited by Fred3733; April 8th, 2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old April 9th, 2016, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much searching, (I actually think I went to end of the internet),
With most certainty I do believe this issue is the anti-theft cutting the fuel pump/fuel injection off after 15 seconds or so. (according to my symptoms)

So there are several ways to deal with it and one has a cost of 250 bucks so I won't be going that route.
The others appear fairly easy. One involved using a 2200 ohm (2.2k-Ohm) resistor and a terminal strip. Link below
GM Passlock Security Fix

Another decent one is here, this is the "reset".
pt%2077-0011.pdf

After doing the "fix" I will need to have the system "relearn" the passcode it will only then allow the switch to allow the response from OFF to CRANK.
This process is detailed at several places.
Here
Chevy cavalier: I disable my passlock..car runs

Here is a great site showing the different styles of GM keys and which Passkey system each key represents.
pt%2077-0011.pdf

My 2000 has the "Passlock" system