Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Turbo Cavalier Aveo Swap

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2014, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Cavalier Aveo Swap

So this is kind of a two fold question.

I've heard and run into people who have put turbos on Cavaliers, although I am not sure if it is the 2.4 or the 2.2 that they've had the best luck on. From what I've heard though, 10lbs seems to be a safe bet for boost level for fun/longevity.

I already have a t-3 IHI turbo off of my Merkur, a fuel pump that can run up to 40psi, a friend who loves to tig weld and I work at a parts store where I can get extras for the swap.

So what is your opinion on putting a turbo on a Cavalier/Sunfire engine? And what would it all take?

The second part of this is that I live in Canada, the land of the rust and the snow. So low km (mileage) but rusted Cavaliers are a dime a dozen but all falling apart, and Aveo's with snapped timing belts (woot woot poor belts+interference engines) that you can pick up for next to nothing with much better bodies are very common.

So if I got an OBD2 low km/mile Cavalier, stuck a turbo on that engine, and wanted to shoehorn it into a newer (2004ish) Aveo. Would anyone have any opinions or ideas on how to do that? Tips, warnings, reasons to do or not to, and what kinds of parts to use?

I'm not looking to build a car that will beat 2jz's and supercharged Camaros, but something fun do drive daily that would be reliable but fun.

Thanks!