Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Turbo or not turbo

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2008, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or not turbo

Hi guys. I"m from the UK so please bear with me as technical help is abit slim over here on these vehicles.
I"ve just bought a 97 GMC Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel from a garage who were havinga problem with this vehicle but didn"t seem to have much luck with resolving the fault.
It seems to have an intermitant problem with the turbo, but I"m wondering if it"s more of a "sensor" problem. eg...
I drove it the other friday to a friend approx 10 miles away. Drove fine. Switched off for 10 minutes whilst I was there. Came out, service engine soon light came up on the dash and it drove home real sluggish as if the turbo wasn'"t working.
Next day I went away for the weekend taking the "burb with me. I drove 100 miles to my destination and the service light was lit all the way and I had no turbo. It drove real sluggish. Uphill was a nightmare. It lost power as soon as it looked at the hill let alone went up it. It was as if someone threw out an anchor LOL!!
Downhill didn"t really want to go over 75 even if I had the chance too.
Anyway, after arriving, I didn"t drive it until the return journey the next day.
Started up fine with NO Service light on the dash and drove home like a dream. Plenty of power, ate hills for breakfast and charged down them like a raging bull.
Got back to my hometown and stopped at a friends for 10 minutes, and left it running and it was still fine. Drove home and stopped off on the way for some fuel. Stopped the engine, fuelled up, and then drove home. It took a few goes to start it (2 or 3) but I put this down to being alittle hot after such a journey and it needs a servicebut I noticed the service light was back on, and for the last bit of my journey home, the turbo wasn"t working again.
Any ideas guys please?
Thanks. Jules.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbo or not turbo

Read the code and tell us what it is.