Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

1984 K20 Scottsdale transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2016, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 K20 Scottsdale transmission problems

I'll make this short and simple. I have the truck stated, which has a 700R4/4L60 transmission and swapped a 400 SBC motor into it.
Anyway, I was driving back to base from home when it began to overheat (this is when it all began). I slowly drove it to the next gas station, and added transmission fluid it was low on. It seemed to drive fine after, but 30 min. away from base it began to sound weak, and I would hear a popping sound from under as I'd drive. The ext day I turned it on and sounded just fine, until I put it in overdrive, and it just shut down on me. Same if I put it on drive. A friend suggested I disconnect the lockup wiring connector on the driver's side of the transmission, and it actually worked briefly. The only way it'll actually drive is if I put it in first or second, and even then it sounds so weak and limping, again with the popping sounds. Since then I removed pan and filter (the fluid was still red, looked clean and no metal shavings of any sort) but now I need help.
Based on everything that happened, from overheating to the popping and only running in low gears and disconnecting the lockup wiring connector, what would the problem be?