Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Car Stalls out in Reverse?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stalls out in Reverse?

Hello,
I have a manual 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS. Never had any problems with it since the day I had it! And I always did the oil changes my self, with full synthetic blend every 3,000 miles. My car just hit 30,000 miles and I was planning to do a transmission fluid chage, and to replace the fuel filter.

Here is my problem however... About 2 weeks ago, whenever I put the car in reverse, the RPMs start to rev to like 2k then dip back to 1k and this goes on several times, then it stalls out.

I did some research and at first I thought it would be the Idle Air Control Valve, but I was informed that the Cobalt LS does not have an Idle Air control Valve. Then someone said it could be the torque converter going bad?

My second question is that the Cobalt LS needs 1.7 transmission fluid and since they sell transmission fluid by the quarts I am guessing that I have to measure the amount poured from the second bottle (.7 quarts), or can I just use 2 quarts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and Thanks in advance.
Old May 9th, 2009, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,
I also have a 06 manual Cobalt Ls, but I have had nothing but problems since its was 2 months old. I Have experienced this a couple times. One time I was waiting for someone to come out so I left the car in reverse and when I went to back up rpms went up and down then it stalled. It also happens when backing out of my long driveway but I am able to keep the car running. Im not sure what the problem is. Its not the torque converter because your car doesnt have one, Its like a clutch but for an automatic transmission. My Cobalt has 79k miles on it, I havent changed the transmisson fluid yet. It woundt be wise to add more fluid then needed. I did so once in a auto Chevy 1500 and it made it shift slow and slip until I drained out some flluid. Sorry Im not much help, hope you can figure out the problem.
Old May 9th, 2009, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your input, yea I heard adding more transmission fluid then needed is not wise, since like you said you can get slippage of the gears.

And you were right about it not being the torque converter, I still have yet to find a solution, I will keep searching and let you know if i find one.

If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to reply!

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 06 LT, and my friend had a 06 LS, her car did that once, had that happened once, what I did because I knew this could happen, I threw it into neutral, it leveled out the RPMs and it didnt die, if you go from reverse to drive you go through neutral, yes? Netural is the lowest RPM gear and sometimes when you shift, it lags, and when it catches the reverse gear it could grab it wrong. Hers was an automatic, and the gears 'click' into place, she had actually pulled a tad too hard from park to reverse and she would rock the gear if that makes sense.

My LT shifts (auto as well) more solid, it isnt as easy to rock past a gear.