Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Car stalls sometimes at stops and when going into park/drive ( torque converter solenoid? )

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalls sometimes at stops and when going into park/drive ( torque converter solenoid? )

I got a 1990 with a 3.1 auto with overdrive that had been sitting for 3 years. On the first drive home after buying it.. it died about a mile from where I got it at a stop light. It started back up and I drove home without anymore stalling problems. Well I read it may be the torque converter solenoid. So I disconnected it ( well I think thats what I unhooked? ) I took it for a SHORT test drive and it was fine till I got in my driveway..when I put it in park it died. Well today I took it for its third drive..about 15 miles mostly highway. When I got to my destination it died, then stalled everytime I started it and put it into drive unless I gave it a bunch of gas. From what I read this STILL sounds like the converter being locked in after a long drive... I also read that once its disconnected you lose overdrive but I still have it!? The wire harness I unhooked was on the transmission, facing towards the front of the car, under the air filter and had five wires. Nothing new has gone wrong since I disconnected that wire so.. I assume it was the right one. I tried to replicate the problem on the way home, I stopped..put it in park and back into drive but nothing happened.. it operated fine..

Any ideas what else I can do? DID I unhook the correct wire? I looked online but cant find a diagram to show its location..

This is probably unrelated but I should mention it.. the low gas and oil pressure lights are always on and the odometer doesnt work but the speedometer and temp guage are working... These have always been stuck on...

THANK YOU SO MUCH