Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2007, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control

I am trying to find out if there is anyone out there that reprogrammed the stock ECM to accept cruise control. I have a 2007 Cobalt that didn't come with factory cruise and I have installed a factory Cobalt SS steering wheel with the Cruise Control buttons and also the redundant radio controls. The radio controls worked and the light for the cruise lights up but nothing else happens. I thought that the car is a drive-by-wire and the throttle position is handled electricallyso the install should be fairly easy. Talking to my local Chevy dealers isn't getting me very far though. Any suggestions?
Old November 28th, 2007, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Cruise Control

When attempting to add factory items like this that didn't come with your car I really recommend you get a factory service manual set to help (not a Mitchel or Chilton repair book).
Cruise control goes throughthe body Control Module (BCM) then to the PCM or ECM -- depending on engine -- the 2.0 uses the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the 2.2/2.4 uses the Engine Control Module (ECM)
Did you also get the brake switch (and clutch if you have a manual tranny) and associated wiring?
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

No, I didn't get anything else but the streering wheel that I purchased off of E-Bay. It is an Automatic transmission with the 2.2L motor.
Old December 1st, 2007, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

After researching any parts associated with RPO K34 (cruise control) I can't find any differences between the wiring harnesses or brake/cruise switches in the parts books -- just the steering wheel/controls. Unless a GM technician can give any ideas, the best advice I could offer would be to find another same-year Cobalt with exactly the same options AND cruise control and have the dealer reprogram your Cobalt's ECU with the VIN program of the Cobalt with cruise control. Having never done this I can't guarantee that it would work.
Old December 4th, 2007, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your help and research. I have found out from another dealership that it can be "turned on" with the GM scan tool but it does require a calibration code that is available from the GM tech department. When it is activated it will work but the light in the instrument cluster won't come on when it is on unless you reprogram the ECM witha program from an exact same car with cruise control. I haven't had it done yet because the dealership that gave me this information is a drive from here and I need to make time to run it up there.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

I wonder did you manage to get it going? I have cobalt ls myself and want to add cruise control - ls's don't have - and I think I can handle the install myself provided I get the right info first.

I was planning on getting a tuner for various reasons (i.e. so I know what the beutiful service engine lights are trying to tell me) and with them it's also possible to reprogram the ECM.

To get to the point as far as ECM is concerned I wonder if I should jus get a tuner with programming for another model with cruise. Possible?

P.S. Never had the pleasure as all my cars have had cruise.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 8:00 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

"tuners" or scan tools as they are called, or if you want one to repreogram your vehicle, you will need the GM specific scan tool call the Tech2. You can get cheap ones from auto stores for $30 -$100, but all they do is read or erase codes. ioryou get one from snap-on or similar companies, they run from $1500-$3000, they will do nearly all makes and models, read codes, get sensor data, even give you some on how to fix the problem. For what you want to do (reprogram your BCM), you will need the Tech2....I just saw one listed on ebay for $3800 with the CANdi module....and that is realy cheap.

As far as swapping out your BCM with another that already has cruise, it just wouldn't be worth it. If you install your own cruise, you could get the dealer to turn on the cruise feature in the bcm for very little cost. it takes all of 5-10mins.

And if replacing your steering wheel is too expensive for you, or is passed your technical expertise, there are aftermarket kits out there that are very easy to install. They integrate with the factory systems, operate just like factory, but again, need to be turned on in the BCM via the Tech2.
Old February 12th, 2008, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

I actually just found time to take it in to the dealership and have them "turn on" the cruise feature in the BCM. Dropped it off first thing this morning and just received the phone call at noon that it "can not" be activated in the computer and that it will be $205.00 to find that out. Very hard to believe that Chevy would build a car with these options and never have the availability for cruise control. This particular car came with the "Street Addition Package" that came with a bunch of other options that I wanted but no cruise control for some reason. After installing the new steering wheel, the redundant radio controls worked and the light on the wheel to activate cruisewould turn on when depressed. I have talked with another dealership that say they can activated it but they are about 80 miles from me. I would hate to run up there and get the same $200 bill and still not have gotten anywhere.
Old February 12th, 2008, 7:48 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally have done about 5 of these cars. It is a simple BCM set-up....when it asks if the car has cruise control, you select yes.....finish set-up and you're done......takes about 5mins
Old February 13th, 2008, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

shawnvw
Is there a way that I can get a phone number or e-mail address to have the service writer at this dealership contact you for some direction to go on this? You could contact me directly at tzaitz@gmail.com to give me that information if possible. I could have the service write or the actual tech contact you directly. Thank you for your help on this.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control