Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Misfire Cylinder #4

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire Cylinder #4

2007 Colorado 4 Cylinder

I have a check engine light because it detects a misfire on cylinder 4. New plugs, moved the coil packs to another cylinder. $80 injector service has been done. It would appear I am down to a compression issue. Either valve problem or ring problem, or even an electrical issue in the harness somewhere. I rented a compression checker from Autozone, and all cylinders had the same psi on them.

The truck runs fine. No issues. It is high mileage 220k, does not burn oil. Have driven it recently 6 hours out of town and 6 hours back, ramp my 16' aluminum boat with it with no issues. I want to give it to my kid.

Here's the problem, my county in Texas is one of the very very few that do an on board diagnostic test, and will not pass it if the check engine light is on. If i lived one county over I would not have to care.. I Have reset the computer, they make me drive it until everything resets in the computer and by that time the error is back.

I do not want to do a ring job or replace a head just to get an inspection sticker for a truck that runs perfect, no oil burn, no smoke, plenty of power.

Is there a work-around for this that will get me through my inspection?
Has anyone else seen or heard of a similar issue and maybe point me in antoher direction? I searched the forums for misfire but wanted to see if there were any Colorado-specific issues that I could look at.

Thanks,
Bo
Old November 20th, 2012, 4:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like Houston. Is that the only code? What does the plug look like, is it pristene white, or any soot? Swap plug wire with another cylinder, see if the code follows. If the compression check is good across the engine, I'd rule out valve ect. Also might do another injector cleaner in tank.
Old July 27th, 2013, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one of those Bluetooth elm things off of fleabay, to plug into the diagnostic port and use the torque app on my phone to read codes and clear them. My 07 Colorado throws cyl. misfire codes if allowed to idle for any length of time. You have to drive the truck around awhile before going to inspection station, cause they can tell you cleared the data. I failed inspection in my state for that and had to go back a few days later. The other alternative is to go to auto parts store and have them clear the code for free as some let you borrow stuff.

Last edited by hookedup50; July 27th, 2013 at 5:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code clearing

i have the same problem with cylinder 4 and runs good too. Now about the code there is a way and its pretty cheap to do it. I did it and works. Go on Ebay and buy an OBD SCAN wireless with bluetooth its $15 free shipping

there is also an app for android called torque its free it reads codes and clears them too.