Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

*the importance of a good transmission*

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 11:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *the importance of a good transmission*

I.just wanted to start this thread to share something i learned, and thats to stress how much of a diference a good trans makes in performance, durability to hold up against a powerfull engine.
I recently blew my th350 in my blazer it has a stout 350 with double bump 2.02 heads, edelbrock goodies and a mid range cam (4.85 lift) and all the other nice stuff we all dump onto a small block to make it howl. So 2nd gear stopped working and it shifted directly to 3rd, so first thought was buy a used trans. All good but a 9" tailshaft th350 for 2wd is hard to find in the canadian BC interior. In my looking for myreplacement a local restorer told me about a guy near by who may have one, so i call and nope, but he can rebuild mine because thats what he does for a living. We worked it out that if i supply the 2000 rpm converter and shift kit he will do it for $750.
Now for anyone who doesnt know, thats a hell of a deal with a 2 year warranty, and installed. I bought my parts and dropped the truck off (it still drove) and in 3 days i picked it up and he installed new universals and welded my exhaust, and didnt even charge extra.
After i get my truck back, i am impressed to say the very least, the engine never performed to my expectations before this, it always seemed to be held back. Needless to say this isnt the case anymore , it perfeorms flawlessly now and hauls ***! Hard shifts, revs out now and pulls hard (a 5.0 mustang didnt even stand a chance it was literally like passing a parked car).
This has been tye best upgrade i have done yet, heck next car i build will start with the trans, as this will make a stock v8 car much faster