Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2010 Tahoe Transmission replacement; good idea?

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Tahoe Transmission replacement; good idea?

This is my first post but was hoping that someone can tell me if I am doing the right thing. We have a 2010 Tahoe with about 19k miles on it, the transmission has given us issues for a while. It shift hard, often times will down shift at the wrong time sending the RPMS into redline but the worste part is at a stoplight it falls out of gear or into what feels like 5th gear so you cannot move; then when it realizes this it slams hard into gear and you can go.

The dealer has been great and working on fixing it, went through a whole list of things the replaced, we picked it up and within a few hours my wife was stuck at a light again.

They have now gotten approval from GM to replace the entire transmission, which is my question. Is this a good idea to replace a whole transmission? Will I have long term problems with this major repair? and what will this do to my resale value? With carfax and things like that it freaks me out...

Thanks!
Old September 16th, 2011, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010LT
This is my first post but was hoping that someone can tell me if I am doing the right thing. We have a 2010 Tahoe with about 19k miles on it, the transmission has given us issues for a while. It shift hard, often times will down shift at the wrong time sending the RPMS into redline but the worste part is at a stoplight it falls out of gear or into what feels like 5th gear so you cannot move; then when it realizes this it slams hard into gear and you can go.

The dealer has been great and working on fixing it, went through a whole list of things the replaced, we picked it up and within a few hours my wife was stuck at a light again.

They have now gotten approval from GM to replace the entire transmission, which is my question. Is this a good idea to replace a whole transmission? Will I have long term problems with this major repair? and what will this do to my resale value? With carfax and things like that it freaks me out...

Thanks!
Advice HAVE THE DEALER FIX IT! Don't be affraid of if it isn't "right" make the dealer make it right!
Old September 16th, 2011, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

I totally agree with that, I am just wanting to make sure that this is the best solution and if anyone has had any issues after a major repair like this.
Old September 17th, 2011, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

I would let them replace it. Who knows if they will ever find what is wrong with the current one or if they do find the issue who knows if it will come back down the road?
Old September 18th, 2011, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

It'll look better on CarFax if they replace the transmission rather than a long list of times they've tried to fix it. If a buyer sees all those tries, they'll be suspicious.
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, I agree that it is the best fix for the problem; vs trying to replace everything BUT the transmission. I just hope it's not a computer issue thinking it's in 5th instead of 1st but who knows. I should get it back this week and am praying for a smoother ride and moving on from the fear of my wife getting stuck at a redlight!

I also think you're right about the carfax I just hope it doesn't make the rig hard to sell down the road...
Old September 21st, 2011, 4:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Welcome to the forum! I agree. I would let the dealership do what they think will fix the vehicle. I would not worry. Dealerships have parts and labor warranties with their work. As far as carfax goes, I also agree that it might look better to completely replace the transmission rather than keep repairing the same one. I hope that this helps you. Keep us posted.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 21st, 2011, 4:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2010LT
Thanks guys, I agree that it is the best fix for the problem; vs trying to replace everything BUT the transmission. I just hope it's not a computer issue thinking it's in 5th instead of 1st but who knows. I should get it back this week and am praying for a smoother ride and moving on from the fear of my wife getting stuck at a redlight!

I also think you're right about the carfax I just hope it doesn't make the rig hard to sell down the road...
Well it wouldn't be a issue if right after you got it back you sold it or traded it.Tell the finance company would has a lend on the car the problems you are having and suggest it falls under a lemon law.They will help you then.

CCS-one more time of NO RESEARCH to help this O/P informing him if there are service publications on this problem or model.Given you position I would expect you could use your contacts to better advise this O/P.
Old September 21st, 2011, 7:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

There are lemon laws in at least Oklahoma. If after three times for the same issue, they have to make it right, either payback in cash, or new vehicle. One of the things that prompted that law was ONE guy. He had a chevy truck that had been in several times, then the dealer told him he wasn't going to mess with it anymore, tough luck. Guy Rented a vacant lot across the street from the dealer (Ada, Ok) parked the truck with a LARGE lemon sign on it. Dealer did there best to get the truck removed, didn't happen. Dealer was finnally "shamed" into replacing the truck. Ironic, the truck was yellow.......
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the posts. We picked the car up yesterday afternoon and from what I can tell it drives as it should. I guess with a 100% new tranny its what you would expect.

I actually have my dealer's license and have looked at the whole "lemon law" process and you guys are correct; 3 times for the same issue and they have to buy you out or exhange it for a new car. But at the same time I can't even begin to think what that process would be like. might not be worth the stress and energy.

As it stands now hopefully it doesn't show up on the carfax and if it does you're probably right that at least the problem is fixed instead of worked on 100 times. And as long as it keeps running fine we will keep it; my wife loves it!

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by 2010LT; September 22nd, 2011 at 11:10 AM.