Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the harness last weekend on my 05. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I would recommend taking the pop rivets out of the splash shield attached to the fender well right behind the hub. The other end of the harness is attached to a hanger directly behind that shield. I had to carefully remove two of the rivets so that I could pry back the shield to get to the other connector. There is a small space in the back, about a 3" square hole that you can stick your hand through, but it's almost impossible to disconnect it like that. If you pull that shield out, it's right there and much easier to access. I hope replacing the harness fixes it for you, I was not so lucky
Old January 9th, 2014, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Looking for ABS parts for an Equinox? GMParts.US | Your Genuine GM Online OEM Parts Counter! is a site I just found and they have pretty much everything and its cheaper than retail!
Old January 9th, 2014, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jpoillucci
Technically there are 3 of them, one is a 40amp, 2 smaller ones a 15amp and 10 amp I believe. They are in the fusebox under the hood. Take the 40amp one out, which is the ABS power. If you are standing in front of the truck look down on the fusebox, it's the second row from the right, second fuse down. Verify on the fusebox lid first though. That will cause the ABS/TC lights to come on, but not the Brake and Check Engine. That's the one I took out since replacing the pigtail harness didn't fix my issue. Truck runs like a champ, no noises, no grinding, no pedal vibration, but no ABS/TC either. I will take that over a death trap any day of the week. Hope that helps.
Thank you! I did it this morning before i went to work and it ran like a champ. Though, i took the 2nd 40 amp fuse out like you explained and the brake light still came on. TC and ABS lights came on right away, the brake light came on about 2-3 minutes into my drive. There was no noticeable problem with the actual braking. Is it something to worry about?
Old February 26th, 2014, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

I too am having same problem with an additional issue of phantom increasing RPM and decreasing. I truly believe this is an electrical issue due to major water, slush & snow. Problem 1st appeared after a driving raining storm, everything shut down. It has been fine since August the started today. Seeing dealer Friday.
Old February 28th, 2014, 7:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Beverlyb
I too am having same problem with an additional issue of phantom increasing RPM and decreasing. I truly believe this is an electrical issue due to major water, slush & snow. Problem 1st appeared after a driving raining storm, everything shut down. It has been fine since August the started today. Seeing dealer Friday.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. I understand that you are taking your vehicle to the dealership in order to resolve this concern. Please feel free to follow up with us regarding your dealership visit. If we can be of any assistance, we can be reached via private message. We look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A. (Assisting Erica and Amber)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dashboard Brake Light

Originally Posted by IdahoCoupe
Thank you! I did it this morning before i went to work and it ran like a champ. Though, i took the 2nd 40 amp fuse out like you explained and the brake light still came on. TC and ABS lights came on right away, the brake light came on about 2-3 minutes into my drive. There was no noticeable problem with the actual braking. Is it something to worry about?
Ditto for me on the dashboard brake light. I no longer feel I am in a death trap with the ABS disabled but need to know if I should worry about the brake light.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem on my 05 equinox. Fortunately for me I was told to just unplug the Abs. However when I did this the ABS light and Traction control lights both came on. My question is that now with the TC light on does that mean the AWD is no longer working? Why does the TC light come on after unplugging the ABS.
Old April 21st, 2014, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Post It keeps stoping and a second egine light pops up with a arrow pointing down

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
There are good technicians out there that can fix cars as good as or better than then dealer

When I drive my car engine light is on and when my gas peddle stiffing up another engine light comes on on top of the first on with an arrow pointing down and the tc light comes on so I have to turn it off and give it a min , turn it back on and the second engine light goes off and the tc , what does that mean
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default abs traction control lights/ ignition switch

my 2006 equinox awd lights for abs and traction control have been on since I got my brakes done and I have taken it in 3 times to 2 places and they say the sensors are not the problem. I have also been having a hard time with my ignition it takes forever for the key to turn and is getting worse. Is there a recall on ignition switchs for a 2006 equinox at all ?
Old May 10th, 2014, 1:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Default ABS/Traction Control

I have been troubleshooting this problem on my wife's '07 Equinox for the last 2 years. Brakes start grabbing once driven for a while. I can be in a parking space, while in drive, and NOT move at all! No codes are reading from the OBD II port. I unplugged the front wheel speed sensor harness from the sensor and I got the same result. Once I unplugged the REAR sensor harness, the vehicle drove fine. That tells me it is the rear sensors/hub or the connector/harness. I have not seen this kind of symptom in this thread so far. I also took out the fuse for the ABS and it drives just fine now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this problem?

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems