Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2012, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mistake P0400.
No i have not take it to a proffesional yet.
I was wondering if could explore all the options before spending several hundreds dollars.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

hey Kbro,
thanks, i am definitely going to insist they check the wiring first. I also managed to get the part numbers for the ABS sensor by itself but not the pigtail harness. I like my dealer and so will call them again to set up an appointment. Hope I can get this fixed for a reasonable amount. If not, it's not getting fixed. Thought about pulling the fuse or relay or whatever. Weather is nice, traction control not crucial and don't need ABS right now either. in any case, thank you for your help, have a great day!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by UpstateNY Bill
Your problem might be caused by a defective abs harness, part number 22715444. You can buy it online from gmpartsdirect for $35.61 USD.

The abs on my wife's Equinox activate below 5 mph as if a wheel is locking up, with no abs light or traction control lights lit up on the dash. I suspect the harness, but havent had time to diagnose the problem fully, or even if the part number above is the correct one, so do your research before you buy.
I'm having the same problem at 5 mph with my '06 Equinox. Did you ever resolve the issue? What was the solution/part?

Thanks!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by NWTiger54
I'm having the same problem at 5 mph with my '06 Equinox. Did you ever resolve the issue? What was the solution/part?

Thanks!
Haven't gotten around to it yet, I've got bigger fish to fry! Two kids in college and their cars have bigger problems. It comes down to which of the 6 cars get the immediate attention. lol

However, you might want to try what I was going to try next, and that is to get a can of electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack or where ever, disconnect the ABS harness and spray the connections, maybe even a little bit of dielectric grease on the connections, and see if that helps. I read somewhere that it fixed the problem for someone else. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the pigtail wire harness? I'd like to take a look at mine to see if that is the cause of the exact same TC/ABS issue on a 2005 equinox. thanks!
Old June 7th, 2012, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Problems

This brake concern is referred to as "ABS False Activation", usually caused by a signal failure from one of the four wheel speed sensors. The root cause could be a faulty sensor, poor/loose/corroded connections, shorted wiring harness and/or a corroded or damaged reluctor/encoder ring on the hub bearing assembly. In most cases I have seen, especially on the Equinox, it has been shorted rear wheel speed sensors. There is an important step not to be overlooked when replacing a faulty sensor! Make sure no debris falls into the hole when the original sensor is removed AND when installing the new sensor/s, make sure the mating surface is completely cleaned and all corrosion is removed. The smallest amount of corrosion (0.25 mm) could cause the sensor not to seat properly, which causes an excessive gap between the sensor tip and the "reading" surfaces of the hub bearing assembly.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Angry abs issue

I'm having similar ABS issues with my 2005 Equinox Lt 85K miles. ABS starts engaging randomly and interfering with braking. This usually last during the first 10-20 minutes after starting the car;ABS engages intermittently. Doesn't matter how fast or slow; it's a distinctive sound and I can feel the vibration. After a while the ABS & TC light comes on and the ABS stops engaging. No problem with regular breaking.

So I took my car to my local GM dealer and was told I need new wheel hub bearing/sensor ... $750. Didn't have any problems on the drive home or the next day. Two days later, it all started again. PROBLEM NOT FIXED!!!!

I take it back to the dealer and I get this runaround about it being the wire wire harness as stated earlier in this topic. So they tell me they can fix it for another $200. I let them know that I hadn't anticipated paying since my issue was never fixed and I was told it was a compound problem the hub bearing was bad.

I take my car with the intent of NEVER giving them another dime of my money and have initiated a dispute/charge back.

So I'm out hundreds of dollars and still having the same problem. Hopefully not for long. If the charge back doesn't work. I rather take that $200 and put it towards small claim.

It is unacceptable for CHEVY to be doing guesswork. They have the equipment and - should have - the expertise fix this problem. If the problem is fixed, hook the car back up and see if it returns the same error codes. That's why they get the big bucks.
Old June 28th, 2012, 2:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xiShi
I'm having similar ABS issues with my 2005 Equinox Lt 85K miles. ABS starts engaging randomly and interfering with braking. This usually last during the first 10-20 minutes after starting the car;ABS engages intermittently. Doesn't matter how fast or slow; it's a distinctive sound and I can feel the vibration. After a while the ABS & TC light comes on and the ABS stops engaging. No problem with regular breaking.

So I took my car to my local GM dealer and was told I need new wheel hub bearing/sensor ... $750. Didn't have any problems on the drive home or the next day. Two days later, it all started again. PROBLEM NOT FIXED!!!!

I take it back to the dealer and I get this runaround about it being the wire wire harness as stated earlier in this topic. So they tell me they can fix it for another $200. I let them know that I hadn't anticipated paying since my issue was never fixed and I was told it was a compound problem the hub bearing was bad.

I take my car with the intent of NEVER giving them another dime of my money and have initiated a dispute/charge back.

So I'm out hundreds of dollars and still having the same problem. Hopefully not for long. If the charge back doesn't work. I rather take that $200 and put it towards small claim.

It is unacceptable for CHEVY to be doing guesswork. They have the equipment and - should have - the expertise fix this problem. If the problem is fixed, hook the car back up and see if it returns the same error codes. That's why they get the big bucks.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry to hear of your experience at your dealer. I would like to investigate this further. Would you please PM the dealer name and city, your first and last name and the last 8-digits of your VIN?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Help is here!

So I too have just finished dealing with this same issue.This is to help you all out so hopefully no one else has to deal with the BS and wasted money I just have!!!

My ABS and Trac Control lights started coming on and my brake pedal would studder, lock, make loud noises, and sometimes barely stop. I took in into a mechanic who stated it was just the ABS sensor on the wheel and replaced it for $200, after a week the symptoms came back but severely worse. The same mechanic then said oh it must be the ABS brake module, which we wouldnt have known needed to be replaced with out replacing the wheel sensor, of course, another $520 and that was for a used brake module. A week later low and behold same problem is back AFTER I've spent over $700!!! The mechanic then tells me oh its a programming issue so youll have to to take it to chevy and it will cost another $105!!! At this point I've had it and tell the mechanic he will be paying the $105 and I take it to Chevy who states it is really the ABS harness that connects the computer to the sensor. There is no programming that needs to be done and chances are more than not that none of the other parts needed to be replaced. The parts and labor to once and for all correct the issue by replacing the harness is $400! This doesnt include all the time I had to spend away from work going back and forth trying to correct this issue!

So, long story short, dont waste your time and money by dealing with a mechanic, chances are they dont know what the are doing! Maybe they can replace your brakes but dont leave anything major in their hands, its better to spend a little more and less time by just taking your car to Chevy. JUST TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP! Probable chance that your issue is the same as mine and its the harness that needs to be replaced! Much better to find out you have to spend 400 bucks rather than spending $1200 trying to get it figured out not including wasted time and frustration!!!

Hope this helps!!!
Old July 14th, 2012, 7:41 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Question

My 2011 Equinox has been having the traction light come on intermittently then go away. Dealer could never find any problem with the system. Was told to ignore it as it was fine.
I'd also like to know more about this pigtail wire to know if it might fix my problem.

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems