Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help

A few months ago I was looking to trade in my 1999 Dodge Durango that was falling apart and unsafe for me to be driving with not only myself but my two young sons. My credit is not good at all and being a single mother working to provide for myself and my sons my father signed for me to get a newer but used vehicle. I searched and I found a really nice 2010 Chevy Equinox, it was perfect. Well that was until a few weeks ago my Equinox started acting up and wouldn't accelerate properly and the RPMs were going up to 500 just to get to 25 MPH. I took it to a local shop to have them look at it and was told it is both the Camshaft sensor and the Timing belt. I got on line to see if there we any recalls on this matter and found none but did find many and I do mean MANY sites where other Equinox owners (2009-2012) have been complaining about the same issues. I am not one to really ask for help but being a single mother of two boys and working for minimum wage and I've been with out a vehicle for almost 3 weeks now and its hard finding rides to and from work, Band practice, football ect.
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by amandaka2675
A few months ago I was looking to trade in my 1999 Dodge Durango that was falling apart and unsafe for me to be driving with not only myself but my two young sons. My credit is not good at all and being a single mother working to provide for myself and my sons my father signed for me to get a newer but used vehicle. I searched and I found a really nice 2010 Chevy Equinox, it was perfect. Well that was until a few weeks ago my Equinox started acting up and wouldn't accelerate properly and the RPMs were going up to 500 just to get to 25 MPH. I took it to a local shop to have them look at it and was told it is both the Camshaft sensor and the Timing belt. I got on line to see if there we any recalls on this matter and found none but did find many and I do mean MANY sites where other Equinox owners (2009-2012) have been complaining about the same issues. I am not one to really ask for help but being a single mother of two boys and working for minimum wage and I've been with out a vehicle for almost 3 weeks now and its hard finding rides to and from work, Band practice, football ect.
Hello Amandaka2675,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concern involving your Equinox. We can understand how frustrating this may seem, and we would be more than happy to look into this more for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you vehicle is currently at. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 8th, 2015, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

Just replaced the engine in my 2010 Equinox with 77K miles. Timing chain jumped , wrecked the motor. Multiple issues with oil leaking into gas etc... Dealer Service wanted $3800 just to diagnose problem not including repairs. Chevy won't back their product because 5 year warranty was up in January. Soooo glad we bailed them out so they could sell an inferior product to us dumb Americans. Toyota here I come soon as I sell this this POS!!! No help from GM hotline...
Old August 16th, 2015, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Amandaka2675,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concern involving your Equinox. We can understand how frustrating this may seem, and we would be more than happy to look into this more for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you vehicle is currently at. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Equinonx Owners (Amanda former Durango Owner)

What you need to do is call GM directly and open up a case. Mention where you've taken it and the dealership. Do not deal with the Patsys here who all they are going to do is try to ease your mind and put more time between you and them...

Call GM and open up a technical issue.

Ask me any questions and I will get back to you...
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Exhaust Smell when starting up

Hello

I had the common issue of using too much oil last year. I was the first Nox in Wisconsin to be fixed for it. I actually almost got an all new engine because a bolt was cross threaded, and they had to replace the top of the engine. Everything was great for about 10 months but now I have a very bad Exhaust smell when I start the car up. It seems that this is another common problem with this engine. It seems it's coming from the exhaust manifold. Does anyone know if this will be another service bulletin for 2010 models? I don't like my wife and child breathing in Exhaust everytime I start it.. Other than engine problems it's bullet proof and suggested 3 people to buy one, which they did. I love GM cars and will only buy them, but I am not liking this engine.
Old September 17th, 2015, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Nox Engine replaced at 77K miles

Had to replace the engine at 77 Kmiles. Just out of 5 year warranty. Absolutley NO assistance from GM Service. Basically wanted $3900 just to diagnose... timing jumped, valves shot motor DEAD. ****ty product. Crappy Service. Sol glad we bailed this wonderful company out so they could sell us an inferior product.
BEWARE!! If still in warranty do not let this issue slide. Trade it ASAP !!!!
Old October 1st, 2015, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by xsdogstar
Equinonx Owners (Amanda former Durango Owner)

What you need to do is call GM directly and open up a case. Mention where you've taken it and the dealership. Do not deal with the Patsys here who all they are going to do is try to ease your mind and put more time between you and them...

Call GM and open up a technical issue.

Ask me any questions and I will get back to you...
I would like to open a complaint with GM. They had to build an my engine because of a cross threaded bolt, and now i have a problem with the exhaust manifold and i cannot get it covered. My car fills withe exhaust every time i turn it on, and my pregnant wife is none to happy after 10 months. Can you help me out with any information on how to start a case. I have never done it before.

Thanks.. Long time GM ONLY owner... just frustrated.
Old October 7th, 2015, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stevecmh
I would like to open a complaint with GM. They had to build an my engine because of a cross threaded bolt, and now i have a problem with the exhaust manifold and i cannot get it covered. My car fills withe exhaust every time i turn it on, and my pregnant wife is none to happy after 10 months. Can you help me out with any information on how to start a case. I have never done it before.

Thanks.. Long time GM ONLY owner... just frustrated.
I lived in Michigan for many years and was a longtime GM owner. Got the 2011 equinox after looking at all similar SUVs. I thought maybe GM had gotten better with their quality. Boy was I wrong. Its nice that GM is extending the warranty on certain items but I want to keep the car to 200K miles. What other major problem is going to come up

Now I have a cracked exhaust manifold. I never heard of this happening. Its got to be a bad vendor or they cheapened the design too much.

Either way the problem is not covered under warranty. I was told it is part of the emission warranty and not the power train warranty.

I will never buy a GM car again
Old October 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by greencat
I lived in Michigan for many years and was a longtime GM owner. Got the 2011 equinox after looking at all similar SUVs. I thought maybe GM had gotten better with their quality. Boy was I wrong. Its nice that GM is extending the warranty on certain items but I want to keep the car to 200K miles. What other major problem is going to come up

Now I have a cracked exhaust manifold. I never heard of this happening. Its got to be a bad vendor or they cheapened the design too much.

Either way the problem is not covered under warranty. I was told it is part of the emission warranty and not the power train warranty.

I will never buy a GM car again
Hi greencat,

Your loyalty is important to us at Chevrolet, and we're truly sorry to learn your experience has led you to have ill feelings toward the GM brand. We take comments like this very seriously and have noted this within our system. If there is anything we can do to possibly assist further please let us know. We're available via private message if you'd like to speak further.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 9th, 2015, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi greencat,

Your loyalty is important to us at Chevrolet, and we're truly sorry to learn your experience has led you to have ill feelings toward the GM brand. We take comments like this very seriously and have noted this within our system. If there is anything we can do to possibly assist further please let us know. We're available via private message if you'd like to speak further.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I already went the private message route and got the bad news that the exhaust manifold is covered under the emission warranty instead of powertrain.

That was the final straw. In 40 years of owning a car I have never had a cracked exhaust manifold. The powertrain warranty says Manifolds are covered but the person in the private message said no.

There are too many major problems with the equinox for me to ever buy GM again. Add the problems with the ignition switch and I question how they stand behind their products.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay