Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2015, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best of luck to all of you

My nox started with that rattle and it's been downhill from there. Ultimately, GM replaced the engine. But now I'm sitting here with another dead engine- yes, the second one died too. And the dealership says they won't offer any support. I can pay 4100 for a new engine and they will give me 4500 in trade. I've had all the stabilitrack issues. Both times when it died, it was reduced power and the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree. I think we saw this stuff early because of how much I commute. Ironically, that's why I bought the thing- the gas mileage. Best of luck to all of you. If it's still running, make a plan to get rid of it. Mine is still in the driveway. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2010 Equinox Rattle Engine, Break Fluid, and Headlights shorts

I bought by Equinox back in 2011. This was my first vehicle purchase and after doing what I thought was a lot of research decided on the 2010 Chevy Equinox. It originally had about 24K miles on it and currently has about 56K. Shortly after buying the vehicle I noticed a ticking/rattling sound so I took it back to the dealership and they told me that everything was fine and it was because it was "eco drive". Shortly after that I had a short in my blinker but I was still covered under the warranty so reluctantly they fixed it. Since then I've had two recalls on this car as well as a short in the drivers headlight that the dealership said was a bulb issue and wanted $60 to change the bulb. Turns out it was not a bulb issue when I had my local repair man look at it and it was actually a short in the wiring. I've also had to replace my break fluid twice in between oil changes!!! I have never had to buy extra break fluid and now I've had to do it twice with this car. I come from a long line of Chevy purchasers and this is by far the worst car that has been in my family.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Chevy Equinox

Well i am a newbie to this site. First off i had bought my 2010 equinox lt awd back in july 2009. First car i had acquired from a dealership....first car note ever....first car to give me gray hairs lol. Since 2010 i had a few services done on my car. Regular oil changes and when it hit 23000 miles or so first engine swap(warranty). They swapped it because of some random check engine lights they couldnt diagnose. But they were p0300 codes. 20000 miles later in encountering same p0300 codes that are intermittent. Im so done i need some help and advise
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Equinox Oil Consumption and Noise

We bought our 2010 Equinox new at Caron Chevrolet in Marshall, Michigan. Bought local, both to support local business and to have a convenient spot to get our car serviced, as it is my wife's primary mode of transportation to work and to our childrens' school. We are getting close to the end of the warranty period, but well below 100k miles. We have been going through the oil consumption testing for the last several months, and finally I am told after weeks of waiting that the car qualifies to have the pistons replaced. This is after having to add almost 3 quarts of oil just to be able to safely drive the car to the dealership to have the oil consumption checked. That was two weeks ago. Now we are "waiting for parts". I am getting sick of the runaround. I have owned the following purchased-new GM vehicles in my life: 2 Chevrolet suburbans, 1 Camaro Z28, 1 4Wd Silverado, 1 Trailblazer. I currently drive a 2012 sonic which may be my last "new" GM vehicle, since the service and quality on the Equinox has been so abysmal. If I can get it repaired satisfactorily prior to the warranty expiration, I may trade it for a new Silverado. If not, I am switching to Ford.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 1:34 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by L71Swede
We bought our 2010 Equinox new at Caron Chevrolet in Marshall, Michigan. Bought local, both to support local business and to have a convenient spot to get our car serviced, as it is my wife's primary mode of transportation to work and to our childrens' school. We are getting close to the end of the warranty period, but well below 100k miles. We have been going through the oil consumption testing for the last several months, and finally I am told after weeks of waiting that the car qualifies to have the pistons replaced. This is after having to add almost 3 quarts of oil just to be able to safely drive the car to the dealership to have the oil consumption checked. That was two weeks ago. Now we are "waiting for parts". I am getting sick of the runaround. I have owned the following purchased-new GM vehicles in my life: 2 Chevrolet suburbans, 1 Camaro Z28, 1 4Wd Silverado, 1 Trailblazer. I currently drive a 2012 sonic which may be my last "new" GM vehicle, since the service and quality on the Equinox has been so abysmal. If I can get it repaired satisfactorily prior to the warranty expiration, I may trade it for a new Silverado. If not, I am switching to Ford.
Hello L71Swede,

We truly apologize for the ongoing concern with your Equinox. This is definitely not the kind of impression we wanted to give you as one of our customers, and we would be happy to assist if necessary. Please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 6th, 2015, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Hey L71,

Here is my advice, skip these losers here on the website. What I did when I had my oil consumption test started was call GM and open up a case. I did this because at the time I'm really certain that they added in about two extra quarts of oil.

I burned up a lot of oil during the first 1,000 miles and then the 2nd 1,000 miles. So much so that I had to stop back in after about 500 or 600....

It's b.s. They should be showing up in our driveway with a new one and say, hey we messed up and well take that off your hands... here is a new one. Even for a small cost.

The dealership was good and did a good job. The people on this website couldn't care less and it's a waste of time.

xsdogstar at yahoo

good luck

definitely check the stick at the start of the oil consumption test...
Old June 10th, 2015, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tming Chains

Rattle noise from Engine bay problem. I just don't understand why I keep having problemsand having to get timing chain replaced. I change my oil when I am suppose to. But at 92k we are changing them out yet again. Seem to me there is an issue here that Chevy needs to look into. Just happy this happened now while I was still under extended warranty. Chevy service orgianlly told me the noise was normal, but I argued with them till they checked things out.
Old June 11th, 2015, 9:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by munap99
Rattle noise from Engine bay problem. I just don't understand why I keep having problemsand having to get timing chain replaced. I change my oil when I am suppose to. But at 92k we are changing them out yet again. Seem to me there is an issue here that Chevy needs to look into. Just happy this happened now while I was still under extended warranty. Chevy service orgianlly told me the noise was normal, but I argued with them till they checked things out.
Hello munap99,

We certainly understand how frustrating this reoccurring issue with your timing chain may seem, and we apologize. Please keep us posted on your dealership visit and let us know if you need us to look into anything. Send your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and involved dealership in a private message if assistance is necessary.

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 18th, 2015, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

I've been reading over this forum the past few days and figured I would post just in case it helps someone else.

I have a 2010 Equinox (1LT 4 cylinder, FWD). I purchased it used in 2013 with about 35k miles on it. In February of 2015 I was in an accident where another car ran a stop sign and struck the front drivers side quarter panel successfully destroying my suspension, wheel, and many other things. After I finally got my car back I started to hear a droning/rattle/vibration and there was a shudder in the steering wheel when the car was first started. I took it back to my dealership where they had done the body work and was promptly charged $80 for them to tell me that there was nothing wrong (This was April).

Two weeks ago I contacted the service manager and took the car back in for the same noise. They kept it for over a week during which time they decided to soak the engine and clean the fuel injectors and spark plugs. They told me that it was completely fixed and charged me $226 (apparently my extended warranty didn't cover that).

Over a week ago I took it back in after having it home for two days and STILL getting the noise and shudder. I recorded it on my phone and also insisted that they let it sit over night and test it with me in the morning. Lo and behold I started it up for them, put it in reverse and there was my noise. Both the service manager and the technician insisted that they had never heard that noise before. I questioned what they thought they fixed before, but didn't get an answer. It was decided that it was probably a transmission mount or an engine mount that was making the noise. I left the car again and now two days ago I receive a call telling me that the noise is "normal". They claimed to have tested multiple other Nox's and that they all made a similar noise. First off, they gave me a 2015 Equinox to drive for the time being and it doesn't make the noise. I was told that was because it was a new car. I also pointed out that my mom's 2012 Nox doesn't make the noise. They decided that it was probably the compressor. I asked specifically after reading this thread if they had ruled out the timing chain. They assured me that that was NOT it. I was told that my extended warranty would cover the compressor, but that I had a $100 deductible. They decided that they would take care of that after I mentioned the work that was already done that WASN'T needed.

About an hour ago I got another call saying that they replaced the compressor and the noise was still there. They decided that maybe they should dig a bit deeper so now they are going to check out the timing chain. Seriously? What happened to being SURE that wasn't it?

I love my Equinox. I had wanted one since the time that I purchased my previous car. (I've owned a 93 Chevy Pickup 4x4 with 246k miles on it and a 2001 Chevy 4D Blazer 4x4 with about 120k) I don't want to knock Chevy too much because my truck lasted forever (other than the persistent tailgate rusting that seems to happen in all their trucks). After reading this thread I am just really concerned that this noise is going to be something that I have to live with for the duration of the time I own the Nox. The noise and shudder do not affect the driving of the vehicle at all. It happens when the car first is started and put into reverse.

EDIT:
I should also mention that a couple months after I bought the car a tire blew and I had it taken to my local Firestone where my mechanic friend works. The engine was 2 quarts low on oil. I started the oil consumption test with my dealer, but the problem never showed up again. It appears that the dealership never filled it up when I bought it.

Last edited by Etts; June 18th, 2015 at 1:08 PM.
Old June 19th, 2015, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Good luck

After many years GM is finally replacing my pistons, rings and gasket. Even though I knew that was the problem. Dumb service tech says oh there must be carbon build up. I am burning excessive oil. They try every means to get out of it. They tell me to come every 1000km to check oil level (they were doing a consumption test). Im thinking why every 1000km since it should be within 1 liter per 3500km so why does it matter when I come back to check oil level. The truck burned 1.1 liters in 1800 km.

For anyone burning oil there is a service bulletin out for excessive consumption. GM is covering the problem up to 193000km.

They fixed the timing chain on my at the beginnig but i still hear weird sounds. Hopefully this repair will reduce some of the noises.

Ive received a total of 3 service bulletins. If you havent received them call GM to get all of them.
good luck.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay