Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1994 G20 Conversion - is there a separate radio amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2012, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 G20 Conversion - is there a separate radio amplifier?

Hi guys,

I just bought a '94 G20 Diamond Tiara in great shape...we will be using it mostly to tow our small trailer.

Anyway, the previous owner said the front speakers were not working (a very faint tinny sound could be heard), and that the amp in the radio had probably gone out.

My wife wanted iPod support, so I bought a $100 JVC head unit from Crutchfield (great great people)...does everything...bluetooth calling, iPod support, remote control, Android app...amazing for $100. Took about 1+30 to install it.

But...

the front speakers sound exactly the same...very faint tinny sound.

So now I am thinking there is a separate amplifier in the system?

Can anyone tell me where it is so I can replace it or bypass it?

Thanks so much.
Old June 14th, 2012, 1:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you replaced the speakers? I wrote a post a couple of years ago on how to replace the front speakers(in the deck) for this van. The ones in the door are easy but the ones in the dash are a bit complicated.
Old June 14th, 2012, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
have you replaced the speakers? I wrote a post a couple of years ago on how to replace the front speakers(in the deck) for this van. The ones in the door are easy but the ones in the dash are a bit complicated.
No...haven't replaced the speakers yet...just ruling out electronics first...still need to get a definitive answer as to whether there is a secondary amplifier hiding someplace.

But I did call Crutchfield, and they guessed that there is NOT a secondary amp, and also guessed that the speakers are bad.

By the way, I don't have door speakers...just the two up on the dash...maybe 4x6's? Plus of course the set in the back up near the roof.
Old June 14th, 2012, 4:58 PM
CF Veteran

I doubt there is an amplifier. These cars got Delco radios not the Bose ones they put in the Cadillacs. Replace the front speakers, running new 12 gauge wires to your head unit. You are going to have to do a search in this van section for the post I had written. Crutchfield wont help you here apart from buying speakers. They deem the task to be "extremely difficult". It isnt just time consuming. For the D pillar speakers also, not hard just time consuming. A cordless screwdriver will save you a lot of time if you have one.
Old June 17th, 2012, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

if you dont want to get into the dash speaker mess, some good speakers in the rear and the use of the fade control will help a bunch too. i have done that in older cars where I couldnt get to the front speakers easily. good luck.
Old June 19th, 2012, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pittkansasvan
if you dont want to get into the dash speaker mess, some good speakers in the rear and the use of the fade control will help a bunch too. i have done that in older cars where I couldnt get to the front speakers easily. good luck.
I ordered a set of speakers for the dash today from Crutchfield...$39 (regularly $79)...I should have them in a few days, then I will attempt the install.

I am wondering if, based on folks saying it is a nightmare, if cutting holes in the top of the dash, setting the speakers in, and then buying some sort of speaker grill to cover the hole would work?
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

This is why you gotta read the post I wrote on this very topic. I address all of this and what to do if you want it to look good and not like some slopjob done by a 14 year old. You can do what you want to do but here is the question: how are you going to get the old speakers out? the speakers are bolted to the metal support under the dash.

what size speaker did you buy? name brand? anything less than 6.5" wont give you superior sound simply due to the length of the van and size of the speaker. In this car, premium sound fidelity cannot be accomplished without using an amplifier. just something to consider.
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

I didnt realize that the speakers were screwed in from the bottom, so I will be following your instructions in removing the dash, etc.

The speakers I bought are 4x6 Boston Acoustics. Should be decent. I wanted to get the same size as OEM to make the installation job easier.

I hear what you are saying about an amplifier. That may well be the next item to get.

I do not have door speakers, I am also wondering about installing a pair. Wondering how much work it would be?

Last edited by wsalopek; June 20th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 9:46 AM
CF Veteran

door speakers only entail cutting a hole in the door and the trim panel. there is probably already a hole in the door so all you need to do is alter the trim panel. then run wires from the dash set-up thru the door sill on the a-pillar.