Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2000 Express 3500 - Rear Axle Seals Leaking

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2015, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Express 3500 - Rear Axle Seals Leaking

I have a 2000 Chevy Express 3500 cargo van with single rear wheels. It is used for business. It has about 212k miles on it. It carries a fairly heavy load 100% of the time.
One of the rear axle seals is leaking all over the brake shoes and obviously needs to be replaced. My question is: do the races and bearings usually need to be replaced at this point as well? I wonder whether slop in the bearings may have led to the failure of the seal. There doesn't seem to be any perceptible play between the axle and bearings though. It spins smoothly and I don't hear any unpleasant sounds emanating from the bearings.
So I guess what I am asking is: are the bearings usually replaced at this juncture or would replacing the seal be sufficient?
Thanks
Old December 26th, 2015, 2:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bearings and shaft should definitely be inspected while its apart and at that mileage if they haven't been done I would probably say to do the bearings and seals.
Old December 26th, 2015, 5:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a new differential cover with the fill hole while you're at it. it's easier then getting that plug out. kinda like this...

NAPA AUTO PARTS