Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2008 Express 2500 cargo

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2014, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Express 2500 cargo

Hello all:

i just picked this van up and im interested in adding power locks and a remote start. im not interested in any type of alarm. from what i can tell ill have to go entirely aftermarket which is ok and i can do it myself. there are dozens of choices and i was hoping someone could recommend a brand/model that would work with my van

thanks, kevin
Old December 1st, 2014, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

hi, anyone?
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of aftermarket kits for adding power locks.
Why no alarm?, it allows for the adding of keyless entry to the power locks.
Check online.....or...you could rob parts from a van at an auto wrecker and add factory ones.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 2:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please allow me to second a question ask by Canucklehead, why no alarm. The price is likely the same and if you leave it in valet mode it is key-less entry. Wish I could recommend a aftermarket system but I have not owned one in over 12 years. I did have a viper system a long long time ago that was reliable but who know now.
Old December 4th, 2014, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ive never been a fan of car alarms. I know every time I hear one go off I snap into action and ignore it like everyone else does. Then there is the nuisance factor for false alarms. walking around and locking all the individual doors one at a time is getting old lol... and i'd like a remote start for those cold days coming up. I definitely want keyless entry which is available with aftermarket lock kits (I can't believe they make lock kits without it, seems pointless)

I'm not sure getting all the stuff from the wrecker is going to happen. I live on Long Island, NY and the wrecking yards here are extremely high priced and I'm sure it would cost more for junkyard stuff than a brand new aftermarket kit. Plus...and this is the real deal breaker: they don't let you wander the yard. They pull everything and I can only imagine how many of the clips and retainers they would toss in the dirt before the stuff got to me.

Thanks for the responses, it's given me alot to think about
-Kevin
Old December 4th, 2014, 4:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Alarms sounding for no reason is a nuisance but remember if you activate valet mode it will not sound and the keyless entry will work. Also most States require auto insurance companies give a discount on your policy, in Ma I believe the discount is 15% off the base (basic) insurance policy. If you want keyless entry need the lock solenoids and desire auto start a local alarm shop may have some old stock they can discount heavily or of course you can shop online.
Old December 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

personally, unless you are REALLY handy with automotive wiring I would have the remote start done by the pros.

What I did on my van was, I ordered and installed a DEI/Directed/Viper power door lock kit and installed it myself. I then brought the van to a well respected place and had them install a viper remote start and hook up my door locks to it. It was like $50 for the lock kit I installed, and $300 or so for remote start and connecting my locks (that includes parts). My van also does not have an alarm.

I have installed many stereos in my life, and have also installed probably a dozen remote starts. From the $50 cheapies from walmart, to a bunch of vipers, so I know my way around. That being said, I won't do another remote start myself unless it is the end of the world and every tech is dead. It takes them a couple hours, me about 10. They have a lifetime warranty, mine doesn't. If they fry something while installing, they grab another off the shelf and keep going, me, I cuss like crazy and bitch about wasting $150 to save $150. It just isn't worth it IMHO.

My biggest recommendation is, if you go to a shop to have it installed, ask/check to see if they solder everything or if they use the snaplock or what ever things to splice the wires. If they use these, go somewhere else. Everything should be soldered.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/7...ont-font-b.jpg