Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2009 Chevy Express 2500 Airbag Light

Old July 2nd, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Express 2500 Airbag Light

So just recently my van which has about 36k on the odometer told me that i needed to have the airbag system serviced. Now being that the van is out of warranty what exactly does that mean or even consist of. This is the first vehicle that i have ever owned which required such a service.

Is it something that i can take care of myself such as maybe replacing a sensor of some sort or does this require me to take it in to the stealership to be charged a arm and a leg for them to perform simple tasks?

Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2012, 1:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thedetailguyz
So just recently my van which has about 36k on the odometer told me that i needed to have the airbag system serviced. Now being that the van is out of warranty what exactly does that mean or even consist of. This is the first vehicle that i have ever owned which required such a service.

Is it something that i can take care of myself such as maybe replacing a sensor of some sort or does this require me to take it in to the stealership to be charged a arm and a leg for them to perform simple tasks?

Thanks
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The 'Service Air Bag' light displays if there is a problem with the airbag system. It may be an issue with a sensor, wiring harness or other issue. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by your certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 2nd, 2012, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

not a system for un-qualified people to work on. Potential for serious injury so no one will post information for a diy.

You don't have to go to a dealership but independant shops may or may not have the proper airbag simulator load tools to diagnose the system.

Last edited by tech2; July 2nd, 2012 at 2:14 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even though this thread is super old i recently (few months back) had this happen to me. Only thing is dealerships are such a rip off. I had my buddy scan the van and his snapon diagnostic tool came up with a front end sensor 3 or something of that nature. I have it written down. Question is can i order that sensor some place offline and change that out myself without having to pay the dealer tripple or quadrupple for everything including rediculous hourly rates!?
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not check a used auto parts place. Or a junk yard.
Airbag bs is such a pain....
Sometimes you can pay a shop for a diagnoses and then fix it yourself...but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
Old April 17th, 2013, 5:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the code is for a front crash sensor; there are 2 located on the underside of the front bumper. swap the sensors and see if the code follows the sensor. if yes, get a used sensor from the boneyard.

removing the front crash/impact sensor are as simple as removing one bolt and one electrical connector.

the airbag modules are dangerous but crash sensors can't go off in your face.

Last edited by tech2; April 17th, 2013 at 5:15 PM.