Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

4.8 V8 Will not Start

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2012, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 V8 Will not Start

I have a 2005 2500 cargo van with a 4.8L V8. I was driving to work the other day and the check engine and ABS light both came on yet the van continued to run. When it was time to go home, the van would not start. I turn the key to the on position and the guages all activate. I then turn the key fully to start and every guage drops but the check engine light remains on. In hopes of an easy fix, I pulled the starter to test it and it worked fine. With no starter attached, the same results occurred when turning the key to start. Any help trouble shooting this would be great, thanks.
Old October 31st, 2012, 8:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got any codes for the light? That'd be the first thing to look at
Old November 1st, 2012, 7:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the battery to see if it is dead and then open the hood and inspect the battery connection cables. Sometimes corrosion will cause starting issues. Check your fuel gauge. Your gas tank might be too low to start the vehicle. If you have plenty of gas, the problem might be the flow of gas to the engine. Check your fuel filter. If it is not clear, check the inside of the nozzles with a cotton swab. If it comes out dirty, you will need a new fuel filter. Also, check your air filter for clogs and deposits. If your air filter is dirty, replace it.