Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

98 chevy e2500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 chevy e2500 wont start

I bought a 98 chevy 2500 V6 a few months back. It sat in front of my house for a week then I started it up 2 days ago and backed it in the drive. Now it wont start. I never had any issues before it is strange that it quit working after backing it in the driveway. The fuel is kinda low, above the red, but to be safe I added about 4 gallons of gas. Any ideas? What is the easiest things I should check? Thanks in advance
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Battery be first check for proper 12v. Any other information you can list could help as well.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. it was cranking fine but to be sure I hooked cables up to it to jump it and it still wouldnt turn over.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. Spray some starter fluid or gas down the throttle body and see if it runs for a few seconds. This is also a check for fuel pump/pressure issues.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it won't turn over, and you have 12 v power. then it could be the starter relay, or the starter motor itself. Also check the tranny gear shift. Make sure its all the way into park. Might be loose and not engaging the safety switch.
Old May 4th, 2013, 2:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah that was my next area as well I would have stated for an easy fix but doesn't mean that it is the problem. You could have bad air/fuel mixtures running and a bank is to lean or that your air intake may be off and you have a leak coming in from your hoses. There is other areas to look at as well. I also appreciated Canucklhead helping as well as it helps me with other issues that are more severe via trans and engine work. Far as tranny gear shift. No that is not the issue you can't crank your engine if you were in any other drive so ignore that part. Pop your car in third and see if anything happens. 100 percent sais nothing happens at all. No crank. and your key will not let you turn over.
Old May 4th, 2013, 3:42 PM
CF Veteran

That is what I mean. If he has no crank, maybe the gear is in reverse instead of park. Sometimes a wiggle on the gear shift can fix that. Also try starting in Neutral.
If its not the park/neutral safety switch, then it must be electrical. If no clicking at all at the starter motor, then I would start at the starter relay. There is a way to jump the connectors to bypass the relay. On my 02 express the fuel pump and starter relay are the same number. Try swapping them. If you have crank, but no start.....then it was the relay.
Lastly, you can run a 12 wire direct to the small 12 lead on the starter motor. That will make it crank. If it does nothing at all its the starter motor.
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
That is what I mean. If he has no crank, maybe the gear is in reverse instead of park. Sometimes a wiggle on the gear shift can fix that. Also try starting in Neutral.
If its not the park/neutral safety switch, then it must be electrical. If no clicking at all at the starter motor, then I would start at the starter relay. There is a way to jump the connectors to bypass the relay. On my 02 express the fuel pump and starter relay are the same number. Try swapping them. If you have crank, but no start.....then it was the relay.
Lastly, you can run a 12 wire direct to the small 12 lead on the starter motor. That will make it crank. If it does nothing at all its the starter motor.
You can only start in two gears. Neutral and Park. Unless he is doing a 2nd gear start with a clutch. I know this from a long time of experience. I worked on transmissions to major body work. Believe me though, it's not the shifter.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:35 AM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead

I would start here to as well. It is a good area to check. But far as the gears being out of place that I would not worry about since if you can only start in park and neutral. If you are out of gear you can't turn the key if your not in neutral or park.

Last edited by Brok; May 4th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 2:08 AM
CF Veteran

My point on the gear shift was only and always about the park/neutral switch being either faulty or not engaged. Since this is an Express/ G series van forum, I also assumed it is an auto transmission.
Not sure what it is I'm supposed to have researched.

At any rate, I'm not saying any more until the original poster comments on his issue further.

Quick Reply: 98 chevy e2500 wont start