Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Guy: Bigtanvan

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2020, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Guy: Bigtanvan

Hello All, I just bought a 1997 Chevy Express conversion van with 125000 miles. I am laying it all out here so don't shoot me. I was looking for a Dodge van, but when I saw the Chevy, something inside me clicked. I started with Chevy (a Vega in high school) , then went on to Toyota, then Ford. I was hunting for a Dodge mostly because my brother is a big Mopar guy, but as I mentioned I saw this Chevy and just bought it. She is mine now and needs a little love. So, I am turning to you guys with 4 simple questions: 1. Where do I find the vin number on the block? 2. Please name reputable parts dealer. (not a question, more of a request) 3. Did Chevy put the 5.7 Vortec in the 1500 express van? and finally #4. If I have a 5.7 Vortec, is that the same as saying I have a G-20 van?
I know these questions are simple, I am just trying to set my course right from the start for me and my big tan van. Also, the thing that made it really click for me was the power of this motor. The thing is strong.
Anyway, glad to be here. I'll post pics soon. Just got it Saturday.
Bigtanvan
Old April 21st, 2020, 4:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtanvan
Hello All, I just bought a 1997 Chevy Express conversion van with 125000 miles. I am laying it all out here so don't shoot me. I was looking for a Dodge van, but when I saw the Chevy, something inside me clicked. I started with Chevy (a Vega in high school) , then went on to Toyota, then Ford. I was hunting for a Dodge mostly because my brother is a big Mopar guy, but as I mentioned I saw this Chevy and just bought it. She is mine now and needs a little love. So, I am turning to you guys with 4 simple questions: 1. Where do I find the vin number on the block? 2. Please name reputable parts dealer. (not a question, more of a request) 3. Did Chevy put the 5.7 Vortec in the 1500 express van? and finally #4. If I have a 5.7 Vortec, is that the same as saying I have a G-20 van?
I know these questions are simple, I am just trying to set my course right from the start for me and my big tan van. Also, the thing that made it really click for me was the power of this motor. The thing is strong.
Bigtanvan
Welcome, looks like we are in the same boat; I just bought the CoronaVan (1998 Express conversion) about a month ago. My van has a 5.7L. In addition to a label under the hood and a visual inspection, an "R" in the 8th character of the VIN would indicate a 5.7L. Just type your VIN into google and you will find free VIN decoders.

As for parts, I have been replacing a bunch and will be posting a bunch more pics and info in my thread once I get off "newbie probation" and am able to post more freely. I have been getting most of my parts from the local Autozone and a few from RockAuto.
Old April 21st, 2020, 4:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtanvan
Bigtanvan
Also, forgot to mention... An "L31" RPO code would indicate a 5.7L. RPO tag is in the passenger door jamb.
Old April 21st, 2020, 4:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

1. VIN number is in the corner of your windshield, and the door sticker.
2. Parts: rockauto.com or your local NAPA
3. Yes
4. No. Search wikipedia for Chevy Van.
Old April 21st, 2020, 6:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. Love those big B vans. The churches probably had a fit when Chrysler stopped making them.

I always wondered, too, if the Express vans were considered G vans. I've got a 90 G van and when it needs replacing I'll look for an extended Express.

Put up a couple pictures. Have fun with the van.

The following users liked this post:
bigtanvan (April 21st, 2020)
Old April 21st, 2020, 7:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Welcome from Florida.
The following users liked this post:
bigtanvan (April 21st, 2020)
Old April 21st, 2020, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks MMJ. Yes, the vin is located where you said, but in my note, i mentioned that I was looking for it on the engine block. Not sure where it is there.
BTV
PS: Wiki is a good starting place. Thanks again.

Last edited by bigtanvan; April 21st, 2020 at 7:56 AM.
Old April 21st, 2020, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

I'll post pics soon. Thanks SF.
OldChevy, I love the state of Florida. Thanks from Illinois.
BTV
Old April 21st, 2020, 3:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

engine block:

https://www.silveradosierra.com/vort....html#p4254057

do you think the engine was replaced?
Old April 21st, 2020, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hey All, As promised here is my van, I removed the interior engine hood and found these numbers on the block : 5.7 LG (at least I think it was a G) and below that was what looked like SGI or it could have been 8GI. It was dark and I did not have much time. So I am pretty sure I have the 5.7 L Vortec, well, kinda sure; I don't know if Chevy made a 5.7 L that was not a Vortec. Mountainmanjoe, I don't think the engine was replaced but I want to be sure. The van came with only it's title and Carfax did not reveal anything. The main reason I want to clearly identify the motor is to make sure I get the right parts. I'll post a pic of the engine here.

Big Tan Van

Quick Reply: New Guy: Bigtanvan