Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Guy: Bigtanvan

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2020, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the motor for my big tan van.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 5:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

OK so you wanted to identify the engine. Not find your 17 character vehicle identification number (VIN). Should have just said so.

The stamp you found means: 5.7 Liters Gross (LG), made of Spheroidal Graphite Iron (SGI).

Go to the wikipedia page for Chevrolet Express Van (which is the successor to the 'G' van since 1995).
Look under powertrain. It says:
5.7L Vortec 5700 L31 V8 (1996–2002)
If you want further info then web search "L31 engine"

Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
bigtanvan (April 22nd, 2020)
Old April 28th, 2020, 12:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I realize I am a bit late to this party, but for what it's worth, the 8th digit (IIRC?) of your VIN will tell you what engine you have (yes, it's a 5.7). Just type your VIN into google and you'll find a VIN decoder website. Also, the RPO sticker on your passenger side front door will tell you your engine and all kinds of other stuff too. L31 is my engine code (and yours?). Again just google chevy RPO codes and you can find out all kinds of stuff about your van.

Old April 28th, 2020, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Cool info and thanks, I will do that. Right now I am in the process of replacing the water pump. I got her home and two days later it started to leak. But, the good news is is that water pumps are easy to swap out. Question, I am pretty sure the torque setting for the bolts is 30 pounds. I have been looking for a good repair manual, better than Haynes and with lots of pictures. Any suggestions?
BTV
Old April 29th, 2020, 12:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look for the official service manual on Ebay. If you're lucky, it'll be cheap.
Old April 29th, 2020, 3:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigtanvan
Cool info and thanks, I will do that. Right now I am in the process of replacing the water pump. I got her home and two days later it started to leak. But, the good news is is that water pumps are easy to swap out. Question, I am pretty sure the torque setting for the bolts is 30 pounds. I have been looking for a good repair manual, better than Haynes and with lots of pictures. Any suggestions?
BTV
I haven't bought a manual for this van yet. I have been doing a bunch of maintenance on it since we picked it up, but so far I have been able to find good DIY info and videos. I also will be (preemptively) replacing the water pump on the Corona Van soon. A cooling system refresh is one of my last planned jobs before putting the van into full service. Please let me know how it goes.

I am a bit concerned about the lower intake manifold gasket. According to a fellow forum member, it is evidently a known issue on these L31 5.7L engines. It looks like a real PITA to replace and if I find no evidence the gasket is leaking I may let it be...
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:28 AM
CF Junior Member

What's up with the Big Tan Van?
Old June 8th, 2020, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Just saw this. The BTV is running fine. I replaced the water pump, wheels and tires. I have another car that I was intending to keep as my work commuter, but I like driving BTV so much I might sell my tiny car. BTV is running great, I'm heading out on a 400 mile trip this weekend just for kicks. BTW, I took my kids to the drive-in with it and they had a blast. The thing is soooooo comfortable, I call it my mobile living room.
Next project for my van list is rust prevention. I have a lot of surface rust underneath, but no cancerous holes or anything major and I want to keep it that way. My plan is to use a rust converter and then go over that with an undercoat. For the converter I think I'm going to go with Ospho, and have no idea as to what undercoat to use.
How did the inspection of your lower intake manifold gasket go? Hopefully good.
John
Old June 12th, 2020, 5:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigtanvan
Just saw this. The BTV is running fine. I replaced the water pump, wheels and tires. I have another car that I was intending to keep as my work commuter, but I like driving BTV so much I might sell my tiny car. BTV is running great, I'm heading out on a 400 mile trip this weekend just for kicks. BTW, I took my kids to the drive-in with it and they had a blast. The thing is soooooo comfortable, I call it my mobile living room.
Next project for my van list is rust prevention. I have a lot of surface rust underneath, but no cancerous holes or anything major and I want to keep it that way. My plan is to use a rust converter and then go over that with an undercoat. For the converter I think I'm going to go with Ospho, and have no idea as to what undercoat to use.
How did the inspection of your lower intake manifold gasket go? Hopefully good.
John
Glad to hear the van is running well, and I'm sure the kids love it. I look forward to hearing how your road trip goes. As for rust treating the undercarriage, my personal preference is to simply can bomb the undercarriage with gloss black spray paint. For ~$20 it can be done annually; works great. I haven't yet done a close inspection but I have a bad feeling that a lower intake gasket replacement is in my future.