Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Backup (reverse light UK) Light not working

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2012, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup (reverse light UK) Light not working

OK

so just got my Chevy G30 so be prepared for alot of stupid questions.

I went out this morning to fit revers parking sensors, could i find the revers light.....NO.

took the passenger side lights out the houseing so i could see them come on inside the van. Put the van in revers expecting to see one of these light - nothing

So my question is where is the reverse light and why isnt it coming on. The back of the van looks like this

http://sdrv.ms/MIEDdX
Old June 30th, 2012, 1:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, the reverse lights are not working (both)? If you haven't checked the fuse, thats the first thing to do. Fuse is good, check bulbs. Bulbs good, probably the switch on the steering column.
Old June 30th, 2012, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

all fuses are good, that was my first port of call. my rear lap units consist of two bulbs each, top bulb (clear) is brake/running light(red lense outside), bottom bulb (yellow) is indicators (clear lense outside) Is the reverse light one of these (bottom buld)?

if so then it lights up yellow when reversing????
Old June 30th, 2012, 8:05 PM
CF Monarch

The bottom lenses as I see from your image is backup/reverse lights. Nothing else should turn on withouht it beibf key on, and in reverse (gear shift) Brake lights are independant, BTW Do they work? Can you tell me if you have all tail lights, brake lights working?
Old July 1st, 2012, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

"The bottom lenses as I see from your image is backup/reverse lights" -but the bulb is yellow and only seems to operate for the flashers.

"The bottom lenses as I see from your image is backup/reverse lights" - with the exception of the backup lights all tail lights WERE working before i took the unit apart to install reverse parking. no that sides brake light wont come on, but it dose light up for running lights

"Scratching head""
Old July 1st, 2012, 2:40 PM
CF Monarch

Can you get a better image?
Old July 1st, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by slihp
"The bottom lenses as I see from your image is backup/reverse lights" -but the bulb is yellow and only seems to operate for the flashers.

"The bottom lenses as I see from your image is backup/reverse lights" - with the exception of the backup lights all tail lights WERE working before i took the unit apart to install reverse parking. no that sides brake light wont come on, but it dose light up for running lights

"Scratching head""
Now I am scratching head, what did you change?
Old July 1st, 2012, 2:52 PM
CF Monarch

What I see on the tail light is no orange bulbs. Top part (red) is brake/tail/turn. The clear lense on the bottom is reverse/backup lights.
Old July 1st, 2012, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

The back of my van is like this

Name:  van1.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  24.8 KB

A) is the running lights and when you press the brake it gets brighter (Clear Buld)
B) is just running lights im sure tho not checked
C) is the indicators the lense is clear but the bulb is orange so you see the indicators in operation.

dont worry about the brake not working i can trace that and fix it. Just need to know where the reverse light is. Was talking to a freaind and he said it may not have one, is this possible before i start taking the vanappart?
Old July 1st, 2012, 4:01 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by slihp
The back of my van is like this

A) is the running lights and when you press the brake it gets brighter (Clear Buld)
B) is just running lights im sure tho not checked
C) is the indicators the lense is clear but the bulb is orange so you see the indicators in operation.

dont worry about the brake not working i can trace that and fix it. Just need to know where the reverse light is. Was talking to a freaind and he said it may not have one, is this possible before i start taking the vanappart?
A is brake/tail
B is clearance/running light
C is backup/reverse light
There should not be any orange/yellow bulbs on the back of your van. C should be a clear single filiment bulb.
You stated earlier that you installed a reverse kit? What did you have, and do with it?

Quick Reply: Backup (reverse light UK) Light not working