Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Coolant leak only when van is on? 5.7 express

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2013, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak only when van is on? 5.7 express

So i was towing a few things with my van, it has about 120k miles, it works like a champ, original owner, and just recently as i was towing furniture with a uhaul trailer i stop at a gas station to fill up on gas. Then as i'm filling my van up i smell coolant. Check under the van and i see it dripping pretty fast, i was maybe about 20 miles from home and it was 2 in the morning so i wanted to make it back home. Filled up the van with coolant and my temp guage was stable all the way back home. No service light, no problems with performance, nothing...

I arrive home and i see coolant around the water pump area, but if the pump failed id imagine the engine would seize up?

Anyways it was early in the morning and i wanted to sleep so i left the van parked outside.

In the morning i check the van and most of the collant had leaked out. I cleaned the under side of the engine and refilled the engine with coolant to see where it was leaking from. i also put a piece of cardboard under the van to see if it leaked

The next day i check the van and nothing leaked ehhh? So i turned the van and it started fine, no hesitation or nothing. Went to the store and as i came out the van did leak a bit coolant so i got back home to check where it was leaking and its around the water pump area.

So again i parked the van for over a week and nothing leaked from it....now i'm just confused, anyone got any ideas of what i should look into? i'm a college student and right now i'm very busy so i cant actually take apart the van and check it out

so wondering if someone has had this issue before? let me know, thanks!
Old November 21st, 2013, 1:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its coming from the weeping hole in the bottom of the water pump. It means the shaft seal has gone and the pumps days are numbered. Replace it soon before it siezes. They are cheap and fairly easy to do.
While you are in there, do the thermostat, and check the alternator and the belt etc.