Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

HELP! 2005 express 3500 side door stuck shut!

Old July 20th, 2012, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2005 express 3500 side door stuck shut!

Hey all- I got issues with my sliding side door on my express van (2005 3500 extended 6.0)

I probably haven't opened the side door in 6 months, being as the back was fully loaded. So I went to open it, and it wouldn't give. I wasn't sure if the door handle click open or not, but now its not going anywhere, forward or backward.

Checked the door lock, the deadbolt lock, and the child safety lock, and they are all unlocked.

I read an issue about "hinge pins" online, but I wasn't sure if it applied to my 2005 or not. Never had to work on my van so I am not experienced in any way.

Any theories or solutions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you all in advance!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 1:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kazamterk
Hey all- I got issues with my sliding side door on my express van (2005 3500 extended 6.0)

I probably haven't opened the side door in 6 months, being as the back was fully loaded. So I went to open it, and it wouldn't give. I wasn't sure if the door handle click open or not, but now its not going anywhere, forward or backward.

Checked the door lock, the deadbolt lock, and the child safety lock, and they are all unlocked.

I read an issue about "hinge pins" online, but I wasn't sure if it applied to my 2005 or not. Never had to work on my van so I am not experienced in any way.

Any theories or solutions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you all in advance!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It is possible the hinges and pins are binding or have seized due to internal corrosion. I recommend visiting your local service technician for additional assistance and repair.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK i have a fix for future reference. It was simply the door rod (long thin metal rod) under the side paneling... the plastic retainers were snapped. you can buy these super cheap at most auto parts store. Then just lubed and ran the door along the tracks!

if u have this problem, make sure all three plastic retainers are in tact!