Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Key will not turn - 2005 express 3500 A/T

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2010, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key will not turn - 2005 express 3500 A/T

Went out to start the rig but the key will not turn. I tried turning the steering wheel, disconnected the battery, checked the fuses, and even took the steering wheel collar off and released the shift lock and tried turning the key in Neutral. I WD40'd the key hole and tried both sides of the three keys we have. None of this has worked.

I am at the point of removing the key cylinder but I cannot remove it with out putting the key in ACC. I read somewhere that I can drill through the key cylinder housing but I need more detailed instructions of how to do this. Also what will I need to do aside from replacing the key cylinder? Otherwise, any other ideas will help.

2005 express 3500 A/T

Thanks in advanced.
PS. Im a newbie, any advice will be great.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 8:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im my truck if your wheel is turned all the way.. you have to put some force into turnign the wheel the same same the wheels are turned to get it turn..only happens if the wheels are turned tho.. when it happens i cant turn it either way
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried turning the wheels both directions and tried the key with no luck. The wheels are almost straight and not leaning on a curb either. Thanks anyhow.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you parked facing upward in a sloped driveway or a hill?

If so, the weight of the vehicle may be locking up the steering column on you. Try getting a little help and pushing the Van up just far enough that the key will turn to start the vehicle, then maybe a quick upward push to get it into gear...