Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have a 1993 Chevrolet G20 Tiara Conversion van that has a leak near the front passenger side bumper. I have had replaced the following regarding antifreeze in the past six months:

Intake Gasket
Water Pump X3
Heater Hose clamps
new radiator cap

I keep taking it to the garage, they pressure test it, and then "think" they have found the problem but I get it home and it still has the leak. The temperature the other times has risen to almost the middle which was an indicator to me something was wrong and then I stopped and looked and saw leaking. After the most recent replacement of radiator cap, I am noticing the temp is not going up as much, but I am still noticing the familiar leak - passenger side near the left bumper. Any ideas as to what this could be? I have to travel home in a month or so (1600 miles) with my son and my pets and I can't have something like this happening.

Thanks much,
Sabrina
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there a drain valve on that side? My Lumina has a plastic drain plug on the drivers side. I have had it a few times leave a small puddle, about 1/2 cup. Iv'e never seen anything like this be intermittent, but nothing above it is wet. I bought a new valve yesterday, and as soon as OSU Iowa State game is over I'm going to replace it.
Old October 20th, 2012, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

I am not sure if I have a drain plug on the passenger side or not.
Old October 20th, 2012, 2:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You are going to have to locate the leak.
Old October 20th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Well that's why I'm here....these so called mechanics in town are having trouble locating it. I am looking for other ppl who have maybe had the same experience and perhaps let me know of other things it could be in the passenger area....
Old October 24th, 2012, 7:34 AM
NLB
CF Beginner

Sounds like there is a small hole or leak that expands under pressure (and leaks) and then contracts and seals when you take a look. I'm surprised your mechanic can't find it...sometimes it happens like that. I would also try a different mechanic, not because of incompetence, but sometimes they're just unlucky when looking around in there and it's not doing it at that time.

Good luck.
Old October 26th, 2012, 5:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You are going to have to locate the leak.
*doh!*

I think he was saying you're going to have to throw down some cardboard, crawl underneath & find the source of the drip by eyeballing it. Just be careful if it's one of those things that only happens when the engine is hot. (Again - *doh!*)

My old G20 ruptured one of the plastic tanks & had a mystery drip that wasn't from the core (metal fins / cooling area), cap, hoses or drain valve. Rupture was in the plastic tank area itself & I had to locate it the hard way.