Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help Improving Traction Please

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Improving Traction Please

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. Came looking for help after a very uncomfortable experience in our new van. We picked up a 2011 Express 3500 12 passenger 2 weeks and are very happy to have the room for the whole family. Got stuck yesterday in a place I would have never ever thought I would have gotten stuck. Backed out of a space in a gravel parking lot and one wheel started spinning when I tried going forward. When I got out of the van and looked I was shocked. It was still on gravel, it just had some mud mixed in. If I wasn't around and my wife called me with this issue I would have blamed her, expecting to show up and find a deep rut in all mud. This was nothing even remotely close to that...it was a joke. There is no way I am comfortable with her driving this and the risk of getting stuck so easily...in a stinking parking lot for crying out loud!

We live up in central PA and will need to use the van all year. I don't have any grand hopes of busting through a foot of snow, but we'll need to get places when the roads are still a bit slick after plowing.

It's also worth mentioning that we plan to pull a decent sized camper with this thing in the future. So making the modification for better traction will be a very worthwhile investment in more ways than one.

What options do I have here? I've heard very mixed reviews with the G80 locking rear diff. I did a quick search and came up with the TrueTrac. Do you have any experience with them? Really appreciate any help you can provide with this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/<wbr>search/product-line/eaton-<wbr>detroit-truetrac-differentials

Thanks
Old April 14th, 2014, 4:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The g80 works great, but if you abuse it it breaks, then the axle becomes a normal axle. Honestly, GM limited slip axles have always sucked *****. Ford has GM beat hands down on this one issue. I had a Ford van, and it was awesome in the snow. My current Express is ok, but the locker is broken, so I have to make sure my snows are on early, and I take it easy.
As for gravel, I have never had that issue. If you are letting the tire spin long enough to dug a rut, then you need to read up on how to drive that van in those conditions. Rolling back and forward with drive and reverse to get you out for example.
Never heard of Truetrac.
Old April 14th, 2014, 5:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What tires are you running? Could always put something more aggressive on the rears and snow tires on all fours in the winter.
Old April 14th, 2014, 5:58 PM
CF Veteran

Michelin LTX mud and snow all season LT 245 75 16. ( load range E)

My snow tires are Motomaster Total Terrain Mud and Snow (load range E)

Both tires are truck tires and have good wide tread, as opposed to road tires with small tread.
Old April 15th, 2014, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rut at all, just a slick surface under that one tire. Basically the gravel base supported it enough to keep it from digging a rut. We were on the slightest incline and I guess that was all it took. Again, I was appalled at how easily it got stuck.

I've actually never had to use snow tires on any of my vehicles, but I would agree that this one would be a good one to start with. Still, I think something else besides that is worth looking into. I would have snow tires off by now given the time of year.

A more aggressive all season tread may very well have made the difference in this situation. However, I still feel uncomfortable with my wife (well anyone for that matter) driving and the potential to get stuck rather easily. Maybe parking lots will be OK, but with some of the narrow country roads around here its not uncommon when passing someone that one side will glance off the pavement. I could easily see this thing getting stuck again...even worse when pulling a camper.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Make sure you have some weight in the van in front of the rear axle will help too.
Old April 18th, 2014, 1:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My van is heavily loaded and it will get stuck if I land on a bug at a stop sign. I have been searching for a descently priced used axle with the g80. Also considering an Eaton TruTrac, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Old April 18th, 2014, 2:15 PM
CF Veteran

Have you had yours looked at? Maybe take it to an axle shop for a check and new fluid. Maybe you have an issue.....sounds way worse than it should be.