Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

One TBI fuel injector firing

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2013, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One TBI fuel injector firing

Alright, help me please. I bought a G20 1993 Chevy van from a lady who didn't take care of it, and it probably sat a while. Had a freeze plug on the back of the engine, dropped tranny fixed plug. I have changed oil, trans fluid, filters, and drove probably 100 or so miles yesterday, the van seemed to run great, shift gears.
I get in today, drive for 3 miles and is just stopped. My fuel gauge and temperature gauge dont work , I filled the tank up last week and probably drove a total of 130 miles, if that. I assumed I ran out of gas and my calculations about my miles were wrong. I had my Dad bring me 3 gallons, put it in the tank and she didnt start.
I went and bought a new fuel filter, the old one was probably dead, needed changed anyway. put in new fuel filter, still nothing. I puled off the air filter, intake and found neither one of my TBI were firing. I did electrical checks. I had 12v to each fuel injector with the key in the on position. I had fuel going to the tbi unit, just not spraying through the injectors. I checked for loose connections around the engine, and honestly i have no idea what i did, but the passenger injector started pulsating.
I could not get both to work, I switched the two injectors and the same one worked on the drivers side, and the other one worked in neither area.
So, outside of the obvious, that i have a bad fuel injector, could it be my fuel pump not supplying enough pressure to fire both?
If the same injector works in both the drivers and passages side does that mean 100% the other fuel injector is faulty?
Does only one fuel injector normally go out?
Why would driving around the day before for all day, letting the car sit over night then 3 miles die today?
Any help would be appreciated, I don't have a way to test the fuel pressure tonight, its too late to go get one.
My voltmeter died tonight as well, looking for some guidance
Old March 31st, 2013, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

as a side note, as I was doing road side test, I came across a broken hose line going to the evaporative emmission control system. I electrical taped it. It was broken 8 inches off of the throttle body from a previous patch job, and I just re connected it with new tape, No idea if this had anything to do with my issue, but im trying to supply all the info I have.
Old April 1st, 2013, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

After some self diagnosis we switched the fuel injectors around as I said earlier. I went out and got 1 new fuel injector and it worked!
Problem solved