Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Replacing Alternator. Please Help!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 2:21 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacing Alternator. Please Help!

I'm the owner of a 82 Beauville (1 ton, v8). I like this vehicle a lot, but I've been having issues.

I've been having battery issues for awhile, even went out and bought a new one. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and had them check the battery and the alternator. Turn out my alternator is failing. I bought a new one so I could replace it on my own. Being a college student, I don't really have the money to have a shop do the work for me.

Problem is, I'm use to cars like Honda Accords where the engine is all laid out under the hood. This van seems to have half of the engine under neath a panel inside the vehicle.

Could someone either send me a link to a step-by-step guide to replace the alternator on this type of engine or tell me where the alternator is?
I know what I need to do, I just have no idea where to start.

Thanks much ^^
Old January 22nd, 2013, 2:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You might try u tube. I've not done an alternator on a van, although it is the same less as you said, it sets in the cabin.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 2:39 PM
New User

I've tried looking through youtube and not had a lot of luck. I'm finding truck videos mostly.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 2:56 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by gingerpunkster89
I've tried looking through youtube and not had a lot of luck. I'm finding truck videos mostly.
It's pretty much going to be the same with removing the engine box what you have is the same only in more cramped quarters. This is just a mechanical tab A slot B deal with a belt.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 3:02 PM
New User

Alright. I'll see if I can find something that is similar.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 3:26 PM
CF Monarch

Remove the battery terminals, those are under the hood. Remove the engine cover in the cab. Locate the alternator, it will be off the side of the engine driven by a belt. Disconnct the electrical connector. Disconnect the battery terminal (large wire). loosen the slip bracket bolt, that will allow you to move the alternator towards the engine to remove the belt. Remove that bolt, and the bottom hold bolt, remove alternator. Replace in reverse order. Reinstallation, will bottom bolt in, pull the alternator with belt on till it has tension, tighten both bolts. Now this is generic, with that I am NOT familiar with you vehicle, it could have a power sterring pump or air conditioner belt that has to be removed prior to removal of the alternator.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 3:50 PM
CF Junior Member

I seem to remember that getting one of the connections off of the back of the alternator, and subsequently back on again, was much easier coming through the inside and behind the alternator
Old February 6th, 2013, 1:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A Haynes repair manual is a must.....for 25 bucks.....its worth it.