Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Blower keeps going out - post-replacing alternator twice

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2009, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower keeps going out - post-replacing alternator twice

I have a 2000 Malibu and I first replaced my Alternator because it needed a new one. I used one from a salvage yard. And the next day my blower motor quits on me. I assume its shot so I exchanged the blower motor for a second one. One hour later that one gives out on me too.

So I then assume the alternator is at fault. I checked it and it was putting out 17 volts. That indicated to me the voltage regulator inside the alternator was shot. So I replaced the alternator again with another used one, and now its putting out 14.5 volts when the car is running. Seems normal. I replaced the blower motor again. But then it goes out on me again! Even with the volts being correct. I tested the connections at the blower motor. It was putting out no more than 14.5 volts at the motor connector itself.

Whats going on here? I don't understand why its still going out if the voltage is under control. Could it be the resistor or the amps the blower motor is drawing?