Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

stalled while driving help please

Old May 30th, 2013, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalled while driving help please

Hello guys and girls. I drive my 98 express with a 5.0 about 400 miles a year. I took it out of storage today and was driving it home and it shut right off half way home
Cranks over nice but no fire at all. When I cycle the key the fuel pump makes a very short noise. Not like my truck. Any ideas. Thanks so much
Old May 30th, 2013, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled the line coming out of the fuel filter that goes to the throttle body and turned the key to on and nothing comes out. Is this a sure tell sign that the filter is shot. Thanks
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The short noise from the fuel pump when cycling the key is normal. It runs the pump a couple seconds to pressurize the system for starting.
If it is a clogged filter, squirt a bit of fuel down the throttle body. If it starts then yes its a fuel issue. If not, then I would chase spark, or electrical issue.
Your fuel pressure could also be too low. I.e the pump is working but not well enough.

Hope this helps.
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

she fires right up with starting fluid, just changed the fuel filter and still have the same problem, if i let the van sit for a few hours or more it will fire for a few seconds then nothing. i have 2 batteries to start it and spark is good on every cylinder. My fuel guage is pegged and inch past full when trying to start then an hour after sitting it is at its actual setting. when i cycle the key it doesnt sound like the tank/lines are pressurizing properly its a quick oomph about as long as 1 second or less.
Old May 31st, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Veteran

Try swapping the fuel relay with the starer relay. They are the same part number. Just in case the relay is goofy. If not then I am betting on the fuel pump. There is a way to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to see if you have the 60 psi you should have. I have never done that so you would have to look up where to make the connection.
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks canuck I will check the relays and get back to you. Ive done alot of research and have heard that the ground for the fuel sending unit will make my gas guage peg and also cause it to not start.
Old May 31st, 2013, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

well i bought a new fuel pump relay, she fired right up and i drove it around for about a half hour BUT on the way home it started spitting and sputtering and i had to pump the hell out of the gas pedal to keep it going for some reason, so i pulled the interior motor cover off and with the key on i heard random noises coming from the center of my intake manifold. my gas guage was bouncing from 1/4 to half to full and back and forth and the noise in the manifold matched the guages behavior. so ive determined it is the fuel pressure regulator. luckily its not under the intake manifold in a cab over design vehicle..
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Well. That computer stuff can be tricky.....I hate it when that stuff goes.

If you find its not the regulator, check the throttle position sensor. That popped into my mind when I read about you pumping the gas.......just a thought.