Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

PLEASE HELP!!! 95' tahoe shuts off while driving!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2014, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! 95' tahoe shuts off while driving!!!

What's going on guys, I've decided to hit the forums to see if anyone could help me with my situation. So... About a year and half ago I bought this bad boy, which is a
Tahoe
4x4
2 door (coupe)

I bought it with 97,xxx miles on it and just recent made it to 108,xxx. The truck is cherry and I haven't had much problems with it till now. Alright so let me begin when my problems started, the truck came with two 10" subs and an amp in the trunk. All the wires are hidden and looks professional installed, it has a fuse relay under the carpet near the E-brake. Ever since I have put a new fuse into it, so I could use the subs. My truck would not start if I left the fuse in it for a few days with out driving it. For example if I didn't use my truck for 2-3 days it would start and I would need to jump start it. So I started putting in and removing the fuse when I wanted to listen to music. Basically everyday I would take it out and put it back when I was and wasn't driving it. Because of all this I thought it fried the battery so I changed that and I was changing the fuses in and out for a while with no problems. I just recently did a full tune up on it about 2 months ago. Changed the wires, plugs, distributor, rotor and the fuel filter. Then it happened again, I was driving my truck down the street when I forgot I had the fuse in. Pulled over, took the fuse out and when I went to start it nothing worked. No lights no crank nothing the truck was completely dead. So I grab my moms truck from the house to jump start it, that goes well and my truck it running. After I drop my moms truck off at home and come back my truck is dead again....... With no electrical working..... So I go back down and get my moms truck again and now this time the jump start will not work, nothing is happening. I have the battery hooked up right + to + and - to - I try to start my truck and nothing is happening, no dash lights nothing and I have the cables on truck to truck, now this is what I really don't understand and please need some advice or help. How could no electrical be working not even a dash light, from me jumping the battery. So at this point people in my neighbor hood think I'm crazy cuz I'm yelling and talking to myself, but **** this is frustrating. So roll it to a parking spot and the truck doesn't start for two days, I call AAA roadside to help me jump it and run a test on the battery since I bought it from them. RIGHT when the dude parks in from of my house this damn truck just STARTS right up out of NOWHERE. 30 sec earlier I was telling the guy that it hasn't started in two days... At this point I'm just happy it started but it's just very weird and doesn't make sense to me how the battery couldn't have power and then it starts... And from this point it has been getting worse and worse. Then about a week ago it started puttering when I accelerate and would kind of die and start again while driving, almost like a clutch when you shift wrong and car dies. I have watched it when I'm warming it up and it's weird, the lights will dim and the car almost dies but then recovers. I have had the battery and alternator tested and the dude said there both holding power, my battery was around 600 amps or w/e. I have used up all my free roadside calls for a damn jump start, the last guy to help me said it might be my fuel pump but that doesn't explain all of the weird electrical problems. PLEASE HELP has anyone experienced this?!?! I don't know what to do!!!!! This damn thing has been dead since Saturday. ANYONE HELP!!!
Old April 25th, 2014, 7:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Default dead taho

this really strikes me as a ground problem. if there is a bad ground, or intermittent ground, you can get the no power anywhere thing happening. I would check all of my grounds to make sure they are clean and good . main cable first, right where it hooks to the block. see if it is loose, check the cable itself, clean and reattach. doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem, but you could check the fuel pressure and see if it makes specs. you will have to look them up or ask an auto parts store. also, the battery going dead sounds like a parasitic draw somewhere. a shorted wire possibly. you really have to look the wiring over on this truck. look for broken or cracked or wires rubbing on something. anyway, hope this helps.
Old February 15th, 2020, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

I really understand what you're feeling, dude. I got exactly the same problem, and still didn't fix it. I have an old Chevrolet, and it has so much problems, that it's already freaking me out. It shuts of while driving sometimes, but it's not the only problem. It seems to me that I have a bad battery, because the engine cranks only from the 3-4 try. I even had once to jump start the car. Fortunately, I have found an article on otopartshop.com that helped me to do that. I don't know what to do with this car, it's freaking me out!

Last edited by stones11; February 16th, 2020 at 5:21 AM.
Old February 15th, 2020, 2:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Hey Stones, welcome to the forum. This thread is from 2014, probably a waste of time to wake it from the dead!
Start a new topic about your current problems and let the smart folks here (not so much me!) help you out.
Red
The following users liked this post:
Irish_alley (February 16th, 2020)